Chapter 29

Galas are dull, boring and tense. There will be businessmen and people with glasses of champagne in their hands and negotiating on the spot or observing others - complementing or staining a name. After the gala celebrating Chinese New Year in the Hong Kong Convention Exhibition Centre, Yuki and her father (former uncle mister Yue. Yuki have some trouble calling him father) went back to one of their many penthouses in Hong Kong. Her father isn't that fond of the crowded streets of Hong Kong and the high traffic jams. He can be found mumbling under his breath about going back to Beijing as quick as possible when he finish his business negotiations.

Yuki abruptly stood up from the leather armchair in the office where her father discuss important matters with guests. "The gala was fun! Xuemei is tired, I'm off to bed daddy!" Yuki chirped in mandarin as she dashed out of the living room, "goodnight everyone~!" Mr. Yue gave Yuki a nod before he continued his negotiation with some guests who were clearly charmed by Yuki's fake demeanour.

As soon as Yuki left the office of the penthouse, that facade dropped. "I'm off to train," she said to herself before heading towards a room in the far side of the penthouse, which many people had mistaken as a storage room. Yuki opened the door and flickered on the lights, revealing a spacious room with little to no gym implements.

The floor was tiled with mats and there's scrolls with Japanese and Chinese phrases of willingness and obedience littered around. Gaela headed towards the wooden mannequin and bowed down before getting into a stance. Her new father is an excellent martial artist, she need to be as strong as him to see Brian again.

'As swift as the wind, approach your target.

Dodge any attacks; it's not all fight.

Slice 'em in the vitals, as fast as light.'

With his father's words resonating with Yuki's mind, body and soul, she leaped and started smashing her fists into the upright mannequin appropriately and stepped back a few times. Her former father and her mother's corpse taunted her. Yuki felt her blood boil. After a few wild swipes and curses, Yuki leaned in, bruised fists aiming at the imaginative head of her dead father.

The image of Brian with a horrified expression flashed across her vision.

Yuki widened her eyes before stumbling, loosing her balance. The girl floundered around before she crashed into the wooden mannequin, clutching her head in pain. Is Yuki a monster...? For Brian to look at her with such a horrified expression... No, she isn't a monster.

Yuki winced at her sprained ankle before dragging herself towards the glass wall and stared outside, at the tall skyscrapers of Hong Kong. It reminded her of one of her father's apartments in Dalian - it must be the tall buildings and the view of the Kowloon Bay that made Yuki think of Dalian.

From the view of the penthouse, Yuki can affirm Hong Kong is truly breathtaking. Yuki can see so much shimmering lights below, lighting up the misty night like stars. The roads seems to be glowing; like a golden yarn being thrown onto the floor with a trail of gold behind. The towering skyscrapers seems to be reaching for the skies to replace the stars but the Kowloon Bay wasn't loosing - the water reflected the lights of the skyscrapers as well as the gradient sky, out-shining the view of land in glee. Yuki gazed at the tall skyscrapers stretching into the distance, staring at the faraway mountains behind.