46. Dark green eyes

..."Oh, and hi (Y/N).", Hange waved calmly...

-

Levi looked back to you, as you jumped out of his bed, following his hurried pace to the outside.

"Hey, why were you even here?", Hange confusedly called after you, while him and you ran out.

As you and Levi got to the front of the building, you saw the carriage supposed to transport you to the underground, Erwin already inside and waiting.
Levi and you got in swiftly, with a tension forming inside of the mode of transport.

We're in.
This is it.
You looked at Erwin. He returned and you immediately noticed the seriousness written on his face.

There was a heavy silence, in which only the galloping hoofs of the horses and the creaking of the carriage could be heard.

Then Erwin spoke in one moment.
"The importance of this mission is immense. We already knew we had enemies outside of the walls. But inside, it's not much different."
You listened quietly.
You had heard Erwin was once almost openly executed in front of a mass of people before.

"Now they're quick on their feet and also have an intellect.", he continued.

"Tch. These morons probably share their braincells with flies as well.", Levi dismissively added.

Erwin gave him a glance and moved on.
"(Y/N), I know your mother died by their hand and you want to avenge her, but I warn you.", his thick eyebrows sparkled.
"My trust in you is unproven yet and I'm taking a big risk, when bringing you here with us. I wouldn't, if I didn't think you weren't capable of helping us accomplishing our mission."
He raised a brow.
"Will you catch them?"

You determinately returned his look.
"We will catch them."

Erwin leaned back.
"Good."

You were still holding his gaze, because you knew what he thought.
Your feelings might get in your way. That you might put your own needs before the needs of the whole department and Survey Corps, maybe even everyone inside of the walls. Only for the sake of taking revenge.
You tilted your head slightly in thoughts.
Of course, your presence was a huge risk, because your immature, rookie-ass could endanger the whole operation.

With a curl on your lip, you moved on.
But why take you then?
Your loss wouldn't be too much of a burden and hit to take, because you were replaceable.
Erwin to let you join... he needed a very good reason, a payoff for instance.
There needed to be a bigger price to gain if you came, than if you stayed back and he took another more experienced superior or recruit.

And this certain price needed to be pretty high, because one mistake of your side, would lead to a fail.

Levi in the meantime, glanced over to you and noticed your absence. His body and every muscle tensed, even when observing Erwin's quixotic poise.
Levi sceptically raised an eyebrow.
What were these freaks thinking?

-

Your feet met the dirty, brown earth with a swirl of dust, as you jumped down.
(E/C) eyes observed the surroundings, which were mostly monotonous, dark and grey.

Suddenly you also saw a few black figures in the shadows as well, which you guessed were trash parts on a pile at first.
A gasp of air slid out of your mouth, as you realised those were people. They were skinny, slender and seemed like bones, collapsed under their own weight.
One of them found eye contact with you and kept it, making a shiver go down your spine.
That's where Levi comes from?