16. I'm coming

... What was he doing here? ...

In the morning, I was woken up by noises of movement.
When I lifted myself up, I saw Ymir, who was wide awake already and was putting on her clothes.

"Where are you going?", I asked confused.

She eyed me carefully:
"I have the feeling that we'll be traveling a lot today."

My eyes widened.
A mission.

Rapidly I, similarly to Ymir, packed up my stuff and we moved out.

We rushed down and saw Hange standing in front of our group, which consisted of Armin, Mikasa, Conny, Sasha and now Ymir and me.
She was talking and wasn't smiling as usual, which indicated the seriousness of the whole operation.

Hange in seriousness:
"Good to see you. We have a mission. Today, we will bring Eren and Historia back."

Historia? Did she mean Christa?

She explained the plan, looking to all of us:
"Do you have any questions?"

We shook our heads in silence.

Then Levi came down the stairs and eyed us unimpressed.
His eyes suddenly darkened, when he saw me.
"What is she doing here?", he asked.

Hange surprised:
"(Y/N) was assigned to you and is automatically in this group now. Erwin said, that she had shown to be capable of working in a team and her abilities-"

Levi interrupted Hange angry:
"She's not capable of doing any of this." He looked to me.
"You won't come."

Me, exasperated:
"I'm able to fight and so I will!"

Levi with a degrading look:
"You'll stay."

I clenched my fists.
"I am going to come. I will help you take them back and I will save Eren and Christa, no matter the price."

Levi:
"The price is your worthless life."

Me, furrowing my eyebrows:
"Well, it's no problem then."

Levi:
"Idiot."

Me:
"Everybody here is risking-"

Hange, trying to solve the argument:
"Let's vibe a little bit, shall we? What about some talking? Or tea? Or-"

I rolled my eyes at Levi.
He acted as if I was completely helpless and incapable of doing anything. I was going to show him...

-

Outside
Behind another large building, everybody prepared the rations. All of us sat on the carriage and my excitement grew.
I looked down and saw Levi next to the horses. He pet one of them and whispered something silently.
Then his look moved to me and I turned away quickly. Did he think I was staring at him? I grunted in annoyance, when thinking about his raising ego.

When I observed my surroundings, everyone seemed so depressed. They were much more silent than usual and were just staring at the wagon's floor.
I looked down as well and my hand formed to a fist.

Hange had said, that people were the ones who had done this. Inside of me, I felt an incredible heat wave of hatred and I gritted my teeth tightly.
They would pay.
How could a human want to hurt another like that? We were a team, all of us. We wanted to kill the titans and not human beings.

Beside me, Armin's sad expression hurt my heart.

I put my hand on his shoulder and whispered:
"I promise you, I 'll even kill them, if I have to."
He looked at me in fear, but didn't say a word.
Mikasa eyed me carefully from the side.

Nobody's going to hurt you, Eren. I promise.

On the way, it became a little louder.
Some started talking and the mood slightly lifted up.

-

We arrived a couple of hours later and it was night already.
Beside us, a collapsed church was visible. Nothing special, except, that it was the only building in the vicinity of kilometres.

Suddenly somebody pulled my sleeve and I came off road, just next to them.
It was Levi.
"You will stay near me, understood?", his look was intense and compulsive.

I saw into his eyes in surprise and slowly nicked.
A warm feeling spread in my chest, as I walked by his side.
Even though he wasn't saying anything, it was kind of nice to have somebody wanting to take care of you. Even if I didn't want to admit that the fact that this person was Levi, made me even happier.

-

The group marched in with an explosion.
Inside, there was a huge, icelike, blue hall, supported by columns. We went by plan and were able to fight off the people who were holding Historia and Eren as hostages.

With a quick blade move, I cut right through to stomach of a woman, who was also using a 3DMG.
Her body fell lifelessly to the ground. I looked around and saw Levi swinging from one column to another, blocking and dodging gunshots. I clenched my teeth.
The man he fought against seemed old, but was still quick and nimble.
With both my blades tightly in my hands, I rushed to him from the back and was just a few inches away from him, when he, all of the sudden, turned around and blocked me.

"Hello, sweetheart.", he showed me his brightly yellow teeth and pulled a large grimace.
I grasped for air and evaded his sudden blade-swing.

"(Y/N)!", Levi screamed.

I frowned at him and backed away from the man. The guy turned back to Levi and asked sarcastically:
"Is she important?"

Levi frowned angrily.

"Hey!", I called out.
The old man turned to me again with his self confident grin and I smiled in delight.
"Is that important?", I swiftly pulled out the gun I had swiped from him.
Before he could look after his own, just to notice that it was gone, I fired it and swung back from the impact.

The man wasn't fast enough to escape the bullet and clashed into the column behind him.
There was blood, so I guessed I got him.

One last time I looked at Levi and saw his widened eyes staring at me.
I opened my mouth and closed it back again.
Then I determinately pointed my eyes at the gate and took off.

Eren, I'm coming.

————————