Chapter 33 -What Have I Gotten Myself Into?-

Today is Carlisle’s first free day of the week since the courses started and he thoroughly enjoyed it. He had played with Haven and Carlie ever since they both woke up. But I couldn’t push away my thoughts… Carlisle looked happy; a carefree proud daddy as he cradled Haven in one arm and had Carlie on his lap as he read a story to her on the ground of the play room. He was so absorbed into it and that too made me suspicious. Of course he always was absorbed with his children, but it seemed as if he desperately tried to remain that way, as if one disastrous thought could shatter this. It was too perfect to be real… And then there was this weird dream… I felt silly asking Carlisle if that really happened, but I had dreamed that Edward was in our bedroom at night, urging Carlisle to tell me something very important. The frustrating thing was that I woke up just before I got to hear what that was. It seemed as if my conscience wanted to tell me something…

The other side of me though told me to just shut up and enjoy the moment. The kids were happy, Renesmee, Carlie and Haven were happy and healthy, Carlisle was enjoying his work thoroughly, but still managed to spend as much time with me and the kids. He even took Renesmee and Carlie to the park the other day to spend some time with just the two girls so that Edward and Bella as well as Haven and I had some time. It was perfect… and that worried me.

“Haven… Haven,” Carlisle laughed as Haven squealed happily every time he called him. “He is so sweet,” he laughed and looked over to me with a happy smile. “Esme, why don’t you come here?” he asked and patted the spot next to him. I smiled but shook my head as I crossed my arms. He looked pleadingly at me, but couldn’t hide a smile. “Daddy,” Carlie demanded by patting her father’s arm and motioned to the book that Carlisle had interrupted reading. Carlisle looked at Carlie on his lap and nodded with a smile before he continued reading poems to her. He still glanced at me from time to time though with silly faces or the pleading puppy dog look. “Okay, okay,” I laughed and sat cross legged opposite him. Haven smiled brilliantly at me as he saw me. “Hi, little guy,” I smiled and stroked his cheek. Haven squealed in response. Carlisle smiled at me adorably when I had finally given into his pleas. Just then the door bell rang. I was just about to get up, when I heard Rose’s voice from the hall calling “I got it”.

“Hey, Anna,” Rosalie greeted. I got up from the ground then to greet her. Carlisle followed behind me after a moment of sweeping up Haven and Carlie at the same time. I was excited to see her again; they had been in her home town during the holidays and were to come back yesterday. As far as Anna knew, I was still pregnant. “Why don’t you come in?” Rosalie asked her just as I rounded the corner. “Oh, hi, Esme,” she greeted me and engulfed me in a hug. “Wow,” she laughed as she looked to my stomach. “Yes,” I laughed as well. Carlisle came around then and showed Haven proudly to Anna. “Oh my, he is so cute,” Anna gushed and Carlisle carefully gave him to her. “How old is he?” she asked after a moment, making silly faces to Haven. “Nearly three weeks,” I smiled and Carlisle walked to my side and wrapped one arm around my waist. “Hungry,” Carlie grumbled in his arms and tapped her tummy. “Okay, darling,” Carlisle laughed and let go of me as he excused himself and disappeared into the kitchen with Carlie. “So, how were the holidays?” she asked. “Quite eventful.” I laughed. “Haven was born in the night to the 25th,” I explained. “Oh, your Christmas baby,” Anna laughed. “It was totally unexpected, but well… Now he’s here and we are not complaining,” I smiled lovingly at my son. “I believe that. I felt the same about Matthew,” she smiled. “How are your men doing?” I asked her as we walked into the living room. “They’re all more than fine, thank you. Three men in the house tend to freak you out though,” she winked. “Oh, I know that all too well. Just wait a few more years,” I laughed and rolled my eyes. What things I had experienced already with Jasper, Emmett and Edward… You never know what to expect when they call you…