Chapter 12 -Edward-

“It was just a nightmare,” he whispered and I slowly understood it all. I didn’t let go of Carlisle though. “It was all so real… I really thought you would have forgotten me… I thought I would be alone with Charles,” I sobbed. “That was what you have dreamed about?” he asked worriedly. “Yes,” I sighed. I told him about my dream and he held me closer through my story. “How could I forget you,” he murmured and put a strand of my hair back behind my ear. “You are the love of my existence, there is no way I would abandon you. You can always be sure of my love, Esme,” he told me fervently. “I know, I love you,” I whispered and cuddled into his chest as he continued to rock me.

“So much for sleeping,” I sighed after some time. Carlisle sighed as well. “You can always try,” he suggested. “I don’t think I can sleep after that dream,” I sighed. “Then we can cuddle as much as you want and maybe you’ll catch some sleep,” Carlisle sighed, but laughed lightly at the end. “I doubt it, but I like the idea,” I smiled and Carlisle kissed my hair.

...

What I did then was lying in the arms of my husband and trying desperately to calm down. It took some time but I really did manage to doze off for half an hour full of dreamless sleep, what I appreciated very much. I sighed as I woke up and breathed in the most luscious scent. Carlisle sighed and held me closer against his chest. “You’re so warm,” he whispered. I stroked his chest and leaned up to look at him. “And you smell so wonderful,” I smiled. “What a compliment,” he chuckled. “I could say the same,” I giggled and we both laughed. As we both calmed down, I sighed and snuggled closer. “Time could stand still right now,” I whispered. “It really could,” Carlisle replied softly and stroked my side. His touch left a tingling trace and I relaxed even more.

 “Can I ask you something?” Carlisle asked after moments of silence. “Of course, you can ask me anything,” I replied, confused by his question. “Do you always have such vivid dreams? I mean, you also had such dreams often on Isle Esme and now again,” he said. “I haven’t even thought about it…” I said and contemplated about that revelation. “Didn’t Bella have such vivid dreams as well during the pregnancy?” I asked him. He looked up surprised and thought about it. “You’re right, so you think it has a connection?” “I would say so, I haven’t had such dreams before. And they all center on our baby in some way… Maybe I am just anxious that something might be wrong with our little one,” I sighed and as I thought about it, I really thought that this was the reason. “Why are you anxious?” he asked with concern for me and sat up against the headboard, pulling me with him. “I just always have to think about all the things that have happened. All the stress and strain on my body couldn’t have been possibly good for the little one,” I sighed. “The vital signs are all fine as far as I can tell without the possibility of an ultrasound and Edward told us repeatedly that our baby is happy and content,” he soothed me and returned to stroking my side. “You’re right,” I sighed again and drew circles on his chest. “Just wait, you will forget about all your worries as soon as you see the little one,” he smiled and stroked my stomach. “Then my worries will start anew,” I laughed. “Oh, Esme,” he laughed with me and reached down to kiss me. “Let’s take one step after another,” he chuckled and laid his head on mine.

Carlisle suddenly started to smile and looked to the door. I looked from him to the door in anticipation. There was the sound of tiny footsteps and a moment later the door opened quietly and Carlie stood in front of us smiling shyly in her pajamas and with her teddy in her hands. “Hello, sweetie,” I greeted her with a smile. “Not sleepy,” she babbled, but yawned hugely. “Come here,” I said and held my arms open. She toddled to the bed and I lifted her onto it and between me and Carlisle. “Wait, how did you…?” I just realized now that she actually couldn’t get out of bed on her own… “Did she…?” I looked at Carlisle and he stroked her curls. “Most probably,” he smirked and kissed her forehead. “Carlie,” I sighed. She looked at me with big eyes and I couldn’t help smiling back at her. “As we are all awake now anyway and I guess we can’t sleep anymore…” I looked down and Carlie’s giggles confirmed my assumption. “…we might as well get ready for the day,” I said.