Chapter 57 -"When sorrows come..."/Part 2-

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions."

- William Shakespeare

The cold glare of his golden eyes hurt her more than any words could until he got up from the ground and started to act...

Bella in the meantime fought her own battle with Olivier. The Cullens and their friends waited anxiously for the next move to anticipate their next one. The formation was nearly forgotten, at least the peak of it was missing as Edward, Emmett, Alice, Rosalie and Jasper rushed over to possibly help Carlisle. Bella was nearly the only one focusing on the new Volturi guard and Olivier, as they both walked over to Jane. Aro walked back, standing behind his four elite guards.

The new one was totally focused on Carlisle and looked only at him.

Olivier though stared at Bella and she didn't quite know what it meant when he took Jane's hand in his until at the ends of her shield the first one fell to the ground in agony. He was multiplying her gift... One after the other fell down in agony, slowly working its way to the middle that is Bella. It didn't take much longer and the rest of her family lay on the ground as well, writhing in agony.

The only ones not affected were Esme and Carlisle, but they had other problems it seemed.

Bella looked at Olivier again, desperately trying to hold her shield intact, but slowly losing the battle. He smiled evilly at her. She desperately looked around, Edward on the ground, trying to help Esme, but unable to... Jacob was still in the shield with Renesmee, but it wouldn't take much longer... Those images gave her the strength she needed and with self-confidence and defiance she glared at the guard. He lost his grin fast as he noticed that she was fighting back efficiently.

Esme and Carlisle didn't notice the chaos around them. They were in an entirely different world...

Esme had to see with horror how her caring, loving husband transformed into a cruel monster before her own eyes. He slowly got up from the ground and with cruelty in his eyes and a grin he walked self-confidently over to where she was sitting on the ice-covered ground.

Esme's eyes went wide with fear and shock and only snapped out of it when Carlisle was only a few feet away from her. She tried to crawl away, not being able with her unsteady legs to get up and run. And her mind screamed that she didn't need to run, it was her husband!

She stopped for the tiniest moment and faced Carlisle again in hope that the warmth would return to his eyes if she would only look at him. But there wasn't any recognition anywhere in his features. He was just another mindless puppet of the Volturi, but Esme wouldn't and couldn't accept that.

He wasn't gone! What the guard had done could surely be undone, she thought, but couldn't quite grasp a coherent thought with Carlisle stalking closer and closer with not such good intentions...  She would have to find a way how to do exactly that.

Esme stopped trying to run away from him with fierce determination. The Volturi had taken away her children, her future, maybe they would even take the lives of friends and family today, they wouldn't take away her loving husband as well! All unsteadiness was gone as Esme got up from the ground and waited for Carlisle to reach her.

Bella closed her eyes with deep concentration. She could feel Olivier working against her shield as well as she could feel the loss of every member of their group in her shield. The screaming around her increased. Jacob desperately tried to find a solution, but he couldn't run right now. Aro would notice at once and send too many after him... Bella saw him pacing around worriedly with her daughter on his back. She growled with rage and like a key it seemed to work and she gained a few inches of her shield back. Bella smirked revengefully at the guard and he snarled furiously, concentrating all his power on Bella.