Chapter 29 -Arrival of the Denalis-

One day before New Year’s Eve we got some surprise visitors…

I was in the living room with Haven, Carlie and Renesmee. Carlisle was up in his office reading through essays of his students. Edward and Bella were taking some alone time, Alice and Rosalie were up in the attic and I don’t know exactly what they were doing, Jasper was talking to the family lawyer in Carlisle’s office, Emmett was out with Jacob and Seth snowboarding in the mountains and Charlie and Sue were out exploring the city and later were meeting Edward and Bella. I had babysitting duties for Renesmee, who played nicely with Carlie in the winter garden with Carlie’s new doll house. It wasn’t exactly what Renesmee favored but she still loved to play with her baby auntie. Haven was in the baby bouncer right next to the couch and kicking animatedly in it while watching his environments. I was lying on the couch and enjoyed the pause. I was still dressed in pajamas and had my hair in a messy bun, the best I had done this morning was taking a quick shower while Carlisle watched over Carlie and Haven…

I took a sip of the coffee that was keeping me awake and looked at Haven as he squealed. “Haven,” I called quietly and he looked at me at once. I smiled and stroked his tummy. The laughter of the two girls distracted him though and he tried to peek into the winter garden. I leaned back into the cushions and closed my eyes in the heavenly silence. Everyone was happy and satisfied for once… I love being a Mom but I needed sleep so dearly! Haven didn’t favor the night for sleeping; in fact he didn’t seem to be a big fan of sleeping at all… Carlisle took the night duty but I still woke up nearly every time and with the feedings I couldn’t catch much sleep. I looked at Haven after some minutes as he hadn’t made a noise for some time and noticed that he was sleeping soundly. I sighed heavily and closed my eyes again.

I was nearly asleep when the door bell rang. I sprang up and looked at Haven hopefully, but of course he had been woken up by it as well and his face puckered up. A second later he cried loudly and I took him into my arms and rocked him. “It rang,” Renesmee said and ran into the living room, Carlie right behind her. “I know, I’ll get it,” I sighed and the girls followed me to the door excitedly. “Shh, Haven, it’s fine,” I cooed, but Haven didn’t stop crying. I shifted him to one side and opened the door. “Good morning, Esme,” Kate greeted me and five other vampires grinned at me and waved from behind her. “Hello, so nice to see you,” I greeted them heartily and let them in. I hugged Kate and Eleazar closed the door behind him. “And we thought we might arrive before the baby this time,” he smirked. “Then you arrived five days too late,” I winked. Haven sniffled but stopped crying then with six new people standing in front of him. “You have a little boy?” Carmen cooed and smiled warmly at Haven. I nodded and smiled. “What’s his name?” Garrett asked as he hugged Kate to his side.

“Haven,” I told them with a smile. Renesmee and Carlie stood next to me and were quiet as everyone fuzzed over Haven. “May I?” Carmen asked and I handed Haven over. “And you have grown quite a bit,” Eleazar smiled and kneeled in front of Carlie. Carlie giggled and patted his cheek. He swept her up into his arms and swung her around. “And the lovely Renesmee,” Tanya smiled and Renesmee smiled shyly. “Where is everyone?” Garrett asked. “Everywhere,” I laughed. “No, Edward and Bella are out, but everyone else is scattered around the house,” I explained. “Where is Carlisle?” Eleazar asked. “In his office, Jasper is there, too,” I told him. “Can I go?” he asked. “Of course,” I smiled and he handed Carlie to Garrett, who made funny faces and made her laugh. “We’ll go and find Rosalie and Alice,” Kate said and pulled Garrett and Tanya with her. “Up in the attic,” I called after them.

“Should we make dinner before Jake and the others get back?” I asked Renesmee. “Yes, of course. Jakey will need lots of food,” she giggled. “Then let’s go,” I laughed. Carmen with Haven and Carlie followed us into the kitchen. “How is it going?” Carmen asked as Renesmee prepared the tomatoes and I cooked the spaghetti. Carlie was sitting at the kitchen table and busily drew pictures with crayons. “Couldn’t be better with Haven here; he was quite a surprise on Christmas,” I laughed. “I believe that, shouldn’t he come in January?” she asked and rocked Haven, who was too distracted with Carmen’s scarf. “Yes, actually, but he decided otherwise and decided to come exactly then when the girls and Carlisle were out hunting,” I smirked and shook my head at the memory. “Oh my,” she gasped. “Did he…?” “Yes, Carlisle arrived at the crucial point, but he took too long,” I laughed. Carmen peeked at Carlie and then looked at me again. “How is she dealing with it?” she asked. I also looked to Carlie and smiled. “She is the proudest big sister. She always watches Carlisle and me fascinated when we change his diapers or when I feed him and even if she can’t really play with him yet, she loves to cuddle him and make him laugh,” I told Carmen with a smile. Carmen returned the smile. “And how do you like it, Renesmee?” she asked. “It’s cool. I am not the little one anymore and it’s great to have a baby around. He is so cute,” she cooed and giggled. We all laughed.