Chapter 85 - Robbing of the Bride -

The doors of the bedroom suddenly opened and Edward stood in his best man attire in the doorframe, a big grin on his face. Esme was startled and looked at her oldest son in confusion. He did not utter a word as he approached Esme, who watched him wide-eyed. Edward chuckled before he effortlessly took Esme into his arms and carefully swung her over his shoulder. A squeak of surprise left Esme's lips at once. "What are you doing?" Edward only grinned, grabbed her veil and the little box in one hand and while holding securely onto her legs he ran out of the house in the exact opposite direction of the aisle and the waiting guests. 

Rosalie and Alice ran out to the porch of the house as soon as they heard Esme's protest. Rosalie erupted in laughter when she saw her brother handling the bride.

"Don't ruin her hair!" she called jokingly after them. Alice sighed exasperated and shook her head.

"And you better not rumple up her dress!" Alice warned him, but both had to giggle as they watched them disappear into the jungle. Edward slowly decreased his speed and almost jogged along the dirt path until they reached a little clearing.

"Edward! What are you doing with me?" Esme asked again with emphasis. She held onto Edward's waist with a strong grip and she was glad that her breakfast had been some time ago, otherwise she would have been quite nauseous after that run. She was simply curious why Edward would act so strangely.

"I am robbing the bride," he smiled broadly as he slowly eased Esme down his shoulder and placed her on her feet. The grass tickled the soles of her feet and she giggled lightly. They were in the middle of nowhere... Esme simply couldn't be angry with him and so a smile appeared on her face and her eyes shone with excitement and curiosity.

"Oh? And who gives you the right?" She asked cheekily, grinning at her son as she gathered fistfuls of her dress to keep it above the lush green grass.

"I am the one leading you down the aisle."

"Wrong direction then," Esme laughed and pointed in the direction they had come from. Edward smirked and shook his head.

"Don't you remember last time?" Edward challenged her. Esme smiled and thought almost ninety years back. Edward had accompanied her down the aisle at her wedding, but she had been so nervous that day that if she'd been human, she would have surely hyperventilated. She had had fears that seemed silly now and the more she had thought about them, the worse they had gotten in her mind and they had paralyzed her then. When Edward had knocked on the door of the little room in the church, he hadn't expected the sight of Esme being so distraught by fears that haunted her from her past. Nervousness had been an understatement that day. And yet, Edward had shooed away the ghosts of her pasts with three simple words. They had kept Carlisle waiting at the altar, but Edward had been able to let Esme relax and thoroughly enjoy the special day.

"Yes, but this time is different," Esme whispered dreamily and stroked her fingers along Edward's cheek.

"And yet you are nervous again," Edward smirked and made Esme laugh lightly.

"Well, you know me." Edward took Esme's warm hand in both of his and sighed before he smiled gently down to her. Esme's answering smile was loving.

"You two have come such a long way since that day; not that you two haven't been the perfect couple from the beginning. You make every couple on this planet green with jealousy." Esme glared at him and nudged his arm. "What? I'm not lying! But seriously, it was wonderful, magical to watch the journey of your relationship and how you two have changed as individuals. Your love always gave me hope that there is a woman out there in this eternity who I would love and who'd loved me the way you two love each other. Without you two I wouldn't have found Bella. Your love is so pure, so genuine and all-encompassing. Never have I seen another couple that matched your love and you can believe the mind-reader," Edward joked with a grin. Esme smiled and took a deep sigh.

"Thank you, Edward," she whispered and squeezed his hand lightly.

"And you know that. You know that the love you two share is unique and that you can be so sure of it and still, you are nervous."

"Well, in a good way! It's my wedding, I am allowed to be nervous," Esme defended herself half-heartedly. She of course knew that Edward wasn't criticizing her. She smirked as both knew what would follow now: the words that had freed her mind ninety years ago.

"Are you happy?" Esme nodded and inhaled deeply. The nervousness lessened and she could breathe freely.

"I am, Edward. I have been happy since the day I woke up to this life and I am happy now." Esme paused for a moment before she went on. "Thank you for having always been and always being here for me, for us." Edward pulled on her hand and they collided softly. Both laughed as they hugged.

"Close your eyes," Edward whispered into her ear after a long moment and distanced himself a bit from her to see if she was listening. Esme smirked, but closed her eyes with an overjoyed smile. Edward slowly let go of her altogether and picked up the small little box from behind him, peeking at his mother to make sure that she wasn't looking. He unpacked a delicate flower hair band of alyssums and lilies of the valley and approached Esme again. She was slightly startled when the hair band touched her head but then smiled while Edward arranged it until he was satisfied with the result. "And open," he whispered and let Esme look at her reflection in a small mirror that he had hidden there in advance. Esme smiled dreamily and looked it at closer.

"It's beautiful."

"Something blue, well and white," he grinned. Esme thanked him again and Edward noticed that her excitement and anticipation was rising with each item that led her closer to finally meeting Carlisle at the altar. Could we go? I can't wait to see Carlisle... and tonight... Edward cleared his throat and Esme blushed at once.

"Sorry..." she murmured.

"I have another gift before we can get going, impatience in person," Edward joked. He presented a small black velvet box and opened it to show it to the bride. Esme's smile widened when she recognized the sixpence as a charm on the bracelet. "We do keep to tradition, but it's difficult to put that coin into your shoes since you don't wear any." Esme giggled.

"I can't believe you kept it. I thought I have lost it during one of the countless moves. It never made it into the box of memories," Esme wondered.

"I found it on the ground of one of our older houses and I kept it the entire time. I forgot it for some time until we moved to Hanover and I found it in a small casket." Edward took the bracelet out of the box and fastened it around Esme's wrist. "I took the liberty and let your wedding date be engraved into the coin. Now you won't lose it again." Esme took a steadying breath and hugged her son close with heavy emotions. Tears threatened to fall from her eyes and soon did as she closed her eyes.

"Now you made me cry," Esme laughed through the tears and he chuckled in response.

"Sorry. But your makeup isn't smudged," he smirked and wiped a few tears away.

"Do you have something else up your sleeve to make me cry?" she asked with an amused smile and inhaled deeply again.

"Nope, but there are some special people waiting," Edward said mysteriously.

"Okay?" Edward grinned and held his arm out to her. Esme smiled and wound her arm through his. Her excitement was bubbling over slowly but surely and Esme walked faster than Edward and he had to keep her ata slower pace with a chuckle. Her thoughts that contained so much joy, happiness, love and excitement almost seemed to scream to him. It took longer than Esme wanted, but soon the border of the beach came into view and Esmecould already see the house in the distance. She sighed deeply when she thought about what and who was waiting for her just around the corner. Edward squeezed her hand softly and smiled down to her. Esme rested her cheek against his arm and closed her eyes for a moment. Edward watched her the entire time as slowly the second part of the surprise came into sight. Lined up at the house were Rosalie, Alice, Jasper, Emmett, Bella, Renesmee and Carlie, forming an aisle to the actual aisle. 

To be continued...

All rights belong to their respective owners. No copyright infringements intended.