Chapter 28 -First Days With Haven/Shopping...-

The days leading up to New Year’s Eve were quite calm, apart from getting to know our little son of course. Caring for a newborn and a toddler at the same time requires some management, but because we had so many people out helping, Carlisle and I could take our well-needed time together and resting.

At the moment, Charlie and Sue took out Carlie and Renesmee into the garden to build a snowman and the others joined or searched for refuge in their rooms as well as we did. Bella and Edward were out on a date as long as the grandparents babysat. Haven was sleeping in his little white cradle right next to our bed and I was lying on the bed leaning with my head onto the cradle and watched my son sleeping. Carlisle was looking out of the window and chuckled from time to time, probably because of what the kids did. Haven looked so peaceful and innocent as his mouth formed an o-form and his eyelids fluttered from time to time. His arms lay over his head and his legs were outstretched. His dark blue eyes were closed, but I could see the tuft of caramel hair on his head. For a newborn, he already had lots of hair. He was today exactly four days old, but he hadn’t changed at all, which meant that he was also aging at a much slower pace than Renesmee. Those four days were marked by sleep deprivation and lots of feedings, but were also the most beautiful days…

We got to know so much already about our son. He likes to hear me singing my grandma’s lullaby; he likes to be rocked slightly while feeding, but doesn’t like it to be in a room with too many people at the time. He loves it when Carlisle softly cradles him against his chest and tells him stories; like in the womb, he was totally soothed by his voice. He makes sweet gurgle sounds before he falls asleep and smiles every time Carlie is close to him (and that was mutual). Haven isn’t a big fan of bathing, but he likes getting a baby massage that Carlisle and I did after the bath to soothe him. He also isn’t too fond of pacifiers, but he takes them when he sleeps.

Aside from the “usual,” we also got to learn that Haven very rarely uses his gift (for which we were grateful in a way). We suspect that he can also heal with his gift, but we hadn’t had a chance to try it. Every time Haven did use his gift, was nearly always in the circle of the close family, most of all Carlisle and me. Rose, too, experienced it once. We didn’t think that he does it on purpose, more like that he does it to people he trusts. It didn’t do anything to me so far, but Carlisle’s eye color changed every time and it got as far as that his temperature changed as well. Either Haven or the person stopped it then. From time to time, his hands started to glow as well when he was deeply sleeping. Charlie recovered from the first time he saw it and blames his eye sight or the trick of the light for seeing it. But since that incident, Charlie was never alone with Haven just in case. The rest of the family was more than amazed by his gift… We could not know the extent to which his gift could develop and that scared me a bit, but as I had said myself, we should think of the here and now for now.

As I watched him, Haven’s face puckered and I already thought that he was about to wake up, but he only whimpered in his sleep. I softly pushed the cradle and sang to him and he fell asleep again. Carlisle walked over to the bed and climbed over to me and Haven and laid his head next to mine. “He is still sleeping,” I whispered and Carlisle watched him proudly. “We created another miracle,” he smiled. “We have a son,” I smiled and felt overwhelmed myself at the fact that we indeed now had two children; two children that we could have only dreamed about years ago… Carlisle looked to me and leaned in to kiss me softly. “I’m still trying to grasp it all,” he admitted and was thinking the same thing I had. “I do understand now what I had missed. I never thought about being a father, because it wasn’t possible and until you stepped into my life, I didn’t mind. But when I saw your agony and the desire to have a child, I too toyed with the idea. But it is more than you can fantasize about. It is a dedication, a deep love that I never felt before…” he whispered thoughtfully. I let go of the cradle and fell into the cushions. Carlisle followed suit and laid his head on my stomach. I stroked his hair and he sighed. “I know exactly what you mean,” I smiled. He looked up at me and smiled lovingly. He grinned mischievously then and before I knew I was on top of Carlisle. I laughed and leaned down to kiss him. He held me secured to him while kissing and I ruffled my hands through his hair. His hands slowly worked their way down my sides and I sighed deeply. Carlisle switched again and he kissed down my neck, never losing that mischievous grin.