Chapter 24 -A Beautiful Surprise and Christmas Lights-

One day till Christmas! The 23rd of December!

"I can't wait," I giggled as we drove to Steven and Melinda's home. "Edward said that Steven would pick up Melinda from their house at this time, so we should have enough time," Carlisle explained to me and he, too, had a sparkle of excitement in his voice and face. Carlisle stopped the car in front of a smaller white wooden house that was decorated for Christmas with fir sprigs, Christmas balls and a Christmas wreath hanging on the door. Carlisle got out of the car and opened my door a second later. "Thank you," I smiled and slowly climbed out of the car. Carlisle then disappeared for a second to get the things out of the trunk and he returned with a sack over his shoulder.

"Alice and Rosalie had lots of fun shopping," I giggled. "It definitely is heavy," Carlisle laughed. He put the sack in front of the door and arranged the envelope on it, so that they would see it at once. "I hope they like the gesture," I sighed as I leaned against Carlisle. "I hope so, too. We aren't boasting with it, though. It should just be a gentle reminder that they are not alone, especially not on the holidays," he whispered and kissed me. "Do we wait until they come home?" I asked him. He looked thoughtful and then smiled. "We could. We should make sure that they see it, right?" he smirked. I giggled and nodded. "Okay," he said and kissed me again. He led me back to the car and we climbed inside. "But we shouldn't stay in front of the door," he chuckled. "Oh, really?" I asked sarcastically and smirked. "Just saying," he chuckled.

We waited a few houses further on the other side so that we weren't conspicuous but we could still see the house. I took Carlisle's hand and held it close. "This is so exciting," I smiled. "You should be Santa more often," he laughed. "It was your idea, you are Santa," I smirked. "I like being Santa," he smiled. "Look, they are coming!" I interrupted Carlisle. We both looked in the direction of the house and sure enough Steven just stopped the car in front of the house. He got out and opened Melinda's door. She at once spotted the sack on their front porch. She pointed to it and Steven followed her slowly. "He has no idea what that is supposed to mean," Carlisle smiled. Steven bent down in front of the sack and opened the envelope.

"What did you write into it?" I asked Carlisle. "Dear Steven and Melinda, I heard that you have a difficult time right now. I think though that especially to Christmas, all worries and fears shouldn't exist. And with this little gesture, I hope you might forget all worries for a few hours and celebrate a merry Christmas with your daughter. Never forget that you are not alone, there are always people looking out for you and your family. Warmest wishes, Santa Claus," Carlisle recited just as Steven read the letter. "I enclosed the job offer," he whispered.

"That is a beautiful letter," I whispered and had tears in my eyes. Steven probably just found the job offer and engulfed Melinda in a hug. We could see how touched he was as he wiped the tears away. "He says: Thank you for whoever thought of helping his little family," he whispered and looked touched as well. Steven carried his daughter and the sack with presents into the house, but stopped and looked back for a moment. At first thought that he had spotted us, but he looked just straight on. He stood there totally motionless until a smile spread on his face and he looked up.

Then Steven walked inside and closed the door behind him. "I think we may have helped them at least a bit," Carlisle whispered stroked my hand. "I hope so," I sighed and kissed him softly...

Later that day, I danced through the kitchen, singing loudly along to "Shake up Christmas" by Train. Carlie sat in her high chair and wobbled to the music, letting her spoon clap to the beat. I smiled at her and kissed her cheeks as I danced around her. She squealed happily and watched me with wonder. "Shake it up. Shake up the happiness. Wake it up. Wake up the happiness. Come on you all. It's Christmas time," I sang along and couldn't stop smiling.