Chapter 52 -Sweet Time-

(Carlisle's POV)

I got up from the bed as soon as the first sunrays shone through the curtains of the bedroom of the hotel suite. I had lain deeply in thought next to Esme through the night and so many thoughts had tortured me that I was glad as I saw the first sunrays to finally have a reason to get up.

I had to smile nonetheless as I looked at her, my reason to live and belief, Esme. She had slept in my arms, snuggling even closer as she was deeply asleep. Ever since she is human I got to know the pleasure of seeing her sleeping and I could understand Edward's fascination (be assured he teased me for smirking before with him and Bella).

She was so peaceful, like a sculpture, a piece of art; her caramel curls were splayed all over the pillow and myself, her full lips were slightly open just like Carlie's when she slept and her long eyelashes were prominent with her eyes closed. She breathed evenly, her heartbeat like a symphony to me and her cheeks were rosy from sleep. A picture of a goddess... My goddess...

I carefully lifted her off my chest and lay her onto the cushions to be able to get up. She sighed in her sleep and turned to the side. I put the blankets more over her small form and very quietly left the bedroom to get ready.

In the bathroom I threw the clothes carelessly away and relaxed as the scalding hot water washed over my body. I closed my eyes and let the water wash away my tension and it worked to some extent. I forgot the time as I still stood under the shower and the hot water had gradually created a slight mist. I was able to let go of all thoughts and sighed contently.

I opened my eyes though as someone tiptoed into the bathroom and I smirked as I recognized her petite form. She rubbed her eyes sleepily and when she looked into the mirror she groaned and tried to untangle her hair. I chuckled as I inconspicuously watched her. She always thought she was a mess in the morning, but I loved the imperfections, the sweet flaws and her untidy hair... I smiled in anticipation as she tiptoed over to the shower and peeked behind the shower curtain at me. She grinned as she saw me watching her already. I wanted to say something, but she silenced me with a soft kiss and I didn't object.

Esme then without a warning disappeared behind the shower curtain again, but I could sense that she didn't leave the room. A moment later she stepped with me into the shower and cuddled close with a small sigh. I sighed as well and lay my head on hers as the water washed over both of us and changed her caramel hair into light chocolate. We didn't need words as she hugged me close and laid her head against my chest. Whatever the hot water could do to my tension, Esme let it disappear at once...

After the shower we walked hand in hand into the bedroom to get some fresh clothes and still we hadn't exchanged one word. She yawned as she slipped into her pair of jeans and I smiled. She threw a pullover on as I just buttoned down my shirt. As our eyes met she smiled as well and walked over to me to give me a kiss and ruffle my still wet hair. "That's nice," she giggled and uttered the first words. "What, my love?" I asked her, the smile still playing on my lips. "This," she sighed and hugged me again. I leaned down a bit and took her wholly into my arms to cradle her against my chest. She grinned and kissed my neck.

I sat down on the edge of the bed and she shifted to sit on my lap with her legs on either side. When she was content with her position her beautiful hazel eyes met mine timidly, though I could clearly detect the mischief behind them. I took her cheeks into my hands with wonder and she smiled heartbreakingly at me and leaned her head to the side to plant a sweet kiss in my palm. "I love you," she whispered and leaned into my palm. I still felt those three words in the core of my being whenever she honored me with them and I still couldn't believe that she was mine.

I smiled and kissed her once more, reveling in the feeling of her warm, soft lips. As I opened my eyes I again looked into hers and she this time touched my cheeks with her warm palms and lengthened the kiss. I moaned quietly and I felt her smile against my mouth.