Chapter 6 -Hormones-

“Esme, are you ready?” Carlisle called from the kitchen. “Mommy?” Carlie called impatiently as well. “I’m coming,” I answered. “It’s not so easy getting ready, you know?” I murmured as I hastily got dressed. “I am not a vampire…” “May I help you?” he asked, suddenly standing in front of me. I nearly fell from the edge of the bathtub out of surprise, as I tried to get my hiking boots on. Carlie giggled in her father’s arm. She had the miniature outfit of mine on: cream shorts, a white blouse, hiking boots and a sun hat. Carlisle was dressed similarly. He had had the brilliant idea of going hiking to explore the island and I wasn’t too happy about it. I had loved to visit the water falls or exploring the jungle before, but everything was just a bit more difficult as a human, a pregnant human… Like getting your hiking boots on… Carlisle chuckled as well, though he stopped abruptly when I looked at him.

“I am carrying your child here, you know? It makes getting dressed a bit difficult, especially these stupid boots,” I grumbled. Carlisle let Carlie down and kneeled in front of me. Carlie watched us for a minute but then rather went to play. I looked down with childish defiance. He made me look at him with his hand under my chin. “I’m sorry, if you rather want to do something else today, that would be totally fine,” he tried to soothe me. I sighed and cupped his cheeks in my hands. I didn’t say anything; I just leaned in and kissed him. He responded willingly and held my head in his hands.

But then he pulled away and he scrutinized my face. “I’m fine, I don’t know… I’m sorry,” I told him honestly. To his and my surprise tears began to fall and I sobbed. “Esme,” Carlisle said alarmed. “I… don’t… know,” I sobbed. He got up and lifted me into his arms. He carried me out of the bathroom and sat down with me on the bed.

“Shh, it’s fine…,” he soothed me. “I’m sorry… I don’t know why I am crying…” I sobbed and my voice rose with anger. The useless tears fell not out of sadness anymore, but I was so angry all of a sudden. “I can’t even get my boots on,” I screamed and balled my hands into fists. “And I am not even so fat yet,” I suddenly started to giggle. “Yet I am unable to dress myself,” I laughed loudly now. “I am useless,” I cried and hid my head in his shoulder, the tears and sobs coming again. Carlisle rocked me and rubbed my back soothingly. He leaned back a bit to look at my face. He looked so confused, but at the same time tried to understand.

“I’m sorry,” I sobbed and held him close around the neck, “I don’t know what is happening to me,” I mumbled and felt silly for my outburst. I looked tentatively up at Carlisle and a small smile appeared on his face. “It’s the hormones, honey,” he explained to me and still rubbed my back. I sat up on his lap. “Still? I thought that was only in the first months. I never had that so badly with Carlie,” I thought about it loudly. “Every pregnancy is different and yours is no exception,” he said softly and kissed my cheek. “That is annoying,” I sighed. “I think it’s funny,” Carlisle responded with a mischievous grin. “For you maybe,” I laughed and tickled his sides. He laughed as well and fell back into the cushions. I fell right on top of him and I took the opportunity to kiss him thoroughly. Carlisle’s hands ran through my curls and twisted them.

“Wait,” he breathed and let us both sit up. I looked at him and then to where he gazed at. “Mommy, Daddy, go?” Carlie was toddling into the bedroom and held her blouse in her tiny hands unsure twisting the hem of it. It looked like it wasn’t unusual for her the way we were cuddled together. And thinking about it, Carlisle and I usually were close together. We couldn’t stay away from each other for too long. Plus, Carlie was just as infatuated with cuddling and like that she ran over to us and I took her into my arms. Carlisle laid his arm around us. He was watching me then for an answer to our daughter’s question. “We don’t have to,” he reminded me. “I know, but I want to,” I smiled, “I would love to see our water fall again.” A smile spread on Carlisle’s face and he first kissed me and then Carlie’s cheek.