Chapter 12: Game Time

Start from the beginning

With the back completely quiet, from the front Kaila could hear the women gasp quietly. It was obvious they were trying not to make a sound because just as soon as the gasp came out it disappeared.

"Did you tell your parents about it." Nina asked watching as the girl nodded. "Did they do anything about it?" She added. But the little girl looked back down in her lap where her leftover food sat as she shook her head.

"Kaila," Lain said waiting until Kaila looked up at her, "as long as you're with us nothing like that will ever happen again." She promised as the girl just looked back down in disbelief.

With the car dead silent from that sudden turn of events everyone could hear Kaila's sniffles as she wiped her eyes with the back of her hand.

Letting her relax for a minute, Lain moved on to Lauren to try and help get all the attention off of her. "Lauren, it's your turn." She said as the other girl shook with anxiety.

She was fearful of what question she was going to get after witnessing what happened to Kaila. The fear of not having a decent answer or any answer at all frightened her.

Not wanting to pick anything too difficult for her Lain paused as she was thinking about what to ask. Eventually her wife took over seeing the difficulty she was having coming up with another question.

"What's something you're passionate about?" Nina asked as she finished eating her food.

The girl was still shaking but not nearly as much as her mind eased. She already knew her answer but all the attention on her made her hold back. Even though Kaila wasn't paying much attention to her, the two women in front were.

Her face was turning redder the longer she thought about it. "I...I uh...like to color." She said shyly.

"Coloring? I didn't take you for a coloring person Lauren." Lain laughed making the girl blush harder not knowing whether that was a good thing or not. "If you remind me when we're not in the car we can buy you some coloring supplies."

"Really?!" She glanced up at the woman with hope filled eyes and a large smile.

"Of course."

Looking through the rear view mirror Nina could see the contrast between the girls, while Lauren was now swaying herself in her seat as she continued eating, Kaila was still sniffling as she continued rubbing the back of her hand against her eyes.

Not wanting her to feel left out the woman spoke up. "What's something you'd want Kaila?"

"I want?" She whined pointing towards herself.

Looking ahead at the mocha woman as she nodded in confirmation Kaila's glassy eyes met hers. The woman wanted desperately to stop the car and hold the little girl in the back who was trying so hard to hold back her tears. She hoped this would make her feel better.

"Books?" She questioned.

"Books it is, Kaila. You can pick out as many as you'd like." The woman told her as her saddened face brightened up ever so slightly. "That is under one condition." Nina said making the girls lip wobble as she waited to hear the terms.

"Eat the rest of your food and you can have all the books you want, like Lauren is." She said easing the girls mind.

Nodding as she sniffled away her final tear the little girl had joined the other in finishing her food. As the women smiled at them from the front, they sighed.

Thinking it was going to be an uneventful rest of the ride Lain had leaned back in her seat ready to rest. That was until she felt her wife's hand on hers. "Don't think you're getting off that easy babe." She winked. "You still haven't gone."

Rolling her eyes playfully at her the woman sat up. "Alright, what's the question?"

"What do you do for a living?" She smirked at her wife as Lain slapped Nina's hand away from hers in a laughing fit looking in disbelief. There was no doubt the woman already knew what her wife did, but it was the fact that she wanted both girls to know that made Lain embarrassed.

Waiting nervously for her response both girls sat quietly munching on their chicken pieces.

"I don't work." She said making Nina laugh. Hitting her wife's shoulder repeatedly Lain's face was flushed. "Because somebody said I didn't have to."

"Don't complain about it. We both knew you didn't want to work." Nina clapped back. "If I remember right you jumped on board with the idea the minute I told you that you had a choice to work or not."

Teasing one another back and forth the ride didn't seem so long after that. Timidly laughing to themselves the two girls enjoyed watching the woman 'argue.'
———————————————————————————
Let me know what you think. Thanks Lexx signing off