37) whenever you're ready

2020 had been the hardest year for everyone and even harder for shawn.

On March 28th 2020 Shawn's mom Karen went to the hospital just thinking she had a stomach bug but was left with devastating news.

At 50 years old, with two healthy kids, a supportive husband, a good job karen was diag with cancer.

Everyone cried, karen cried, Manuel cried, shawn cried, aaliyah cried, Camila cried. everyone cried.

Shawn probably cried the most, he was away most of the time and the few moments he could be home were little and now they were spent in a cold hospital room.

Shawn was working on the fourth album but dropped everything to fly to Canada and spend as much time as he could with his mother.

Camila also drop everything to be by Karen's side, Shawn's family had bec like a third family and it was just as hard for her as it was them, she esp went for shawn because alone he wasn't going to make it through...knowing sjawn he would stop eating and caring about himself trying to save Karen.

Shawn,manny, aaliyah, Camila and even karen know that it was her time and they found the cancer to late that chemo would be a waste of time and it would be better to just spend the next few months together, but no one, especially shawn wanted to believe it...shawn was in denial. They all were they wanted this to be a stupid joke.

They wanted a miracle to happen and be to be healthy again.

"Sweetheart, honey...when can I go to heaven?" Karen asked holding shawn and aaliyahs hand, she was at the end and her fight was over but she just needed that last confirmation, she needed to know her kids will be ok and they she could let go, she could be happy.

"What?...n-" aaliyah shawn starting to shake her head but shawn cut her off.

"Whenever you're ready" shawn said, holding his mother hand tighter, it was hard for shawn to say it but they would be ok...she had done an amazing job at raising them and it would be hard but they would be ok.

"Whenever you're ready " aaliyah repeated reaching back and grabbing ahold of her father's hand as well.

"I love you all so much" Karen said reaching up and caressing both there cheeks, shawn leaned into it and nodded his head holding back the tears, reaching up to grab her wrist.

Pulling away from her confront and kis the back of her hand.

Karen slowly closed her eyes, shawn leaned down and whispered into her ear.

"I love you so much...I can't Express how thankful I am for you...truly...I'm going to miss you so much mum...its ok you can go now..I love you" shawn said kissing Karen cheek.

Karen smiled until it slowly faded and the monitors beeps got slower and slow until there were no more.

Aaliyah sobbed into her dad arms and shawn fell to the ground.

Loud sobs escaped from Shawn's lips as his shoulder moved up and down.

Camila dropped to the floor and confronted shawn the best she could.

*at her funeral *

"I thank each and everyone of you for coming, I'm sure my mum appreciate every single one of you I wrote this song two days after she passed and is actually the lead of my fourth album, I hope you and especially my mother like it" shawn said.

We let the waters rise
We drifted to survive
I needed you to stay
But I let you drift away

My love where are you?

Whenever you're ready, whenever you're ready
Can we, can we surrender?
I surrender

No one will win this time
I just want you back
I'm running to your side
Flying my white flag, my white flag

My love where are you?

Whenever you're ready, whenever you're ready
Can we, can we surrender?
I surrender

I surrender" shawn finished and the crowd erupted In cheers, shawn thanked them and walked off stage, he was grateful that he could move so many people with a song about a very special person.

The next couple of months were hard and some days were harder than other but shawn and his family pulled through for themselves and karen.

Shawn knew that he had made his mother proud but he worked even harder, for himself and mother.

He carried out her legacy to millions of others and never failed to acknowledge his wonderful mother who raised him as the man he was today.