Chapter 44 | Lunch at the Zoo

Uraraka's Pov.

  They spent that whole morning exploring the wonders of the secret breeding program, or the zoo, but still didn't get through that much.  Uraraka said they went through maybe half of it, but she miscalculated... It was actually much bigger than she anticipated because of the side paths. 

  On the way they found a small restaurant, and it wasn't like a food stall, it actually had tables within it and everything!

  "Tokoyami really outdid himself," she commented as she sat down.

  "Yeah... but he probably had some help," Deku looked at the tile flooring.

  "True," she nodded, "but he definitely did the food stalls, for him they would just be really basic."

  Deku nodded, and looked a little sad.

  "So..." Uraraka trailed off, "Do you think that this is the half way point of the zoo?"

  "Probably," Deku agreed, "considering that I haven't seen anything else this detailed, this is probably it. Plus, they have twenty seats, a perfect number of seats for everyone in class 1-A. And I also noticed where we were in the zoo last time where we started running to get to the sleepover, we passed this, but since we were going slower before, we thought that around back there was the "half of the zoo" checkpoint."

  Uraraka looked around the room. Deku was right! But when did he get the chance to count them all?

  'Wow! He remembers a lot of things...'

  "Wow," she spoke in amazement, "I really didn't notice much of that..."

  "Well..." Deku started sheepishly, "I just got used to stuff like that..."

  "Anyway," she changed the subject, "How much of your Yaomomo-bucks do you have left?"

  He took them out of his pocket.

  "Ninety," he told her, "What about you?"

  "Sixty..." she trailed off.

  "I told you not to pay for the food..." he sighed, rubbing the back of his head.

  "I did get two key chains for us and a T-shirt. And a few other souvenirs," she argued, "And we  got food more than twice, and you really didn't even order food after the first time, only a water or two."

  "I'll pay you back," Deku promised again.

  "You don't have to," Uraraka protested.

  "I will," he insisted again.

  She sighed in defeat again.

  They stared at the menu for a little while, and then the waiter came over.

  "Did you decide on what beverage you want to order?" he asked.

  "Yeah," Uraraka spoke.

  Deku nodded.

  "What did you decide on?" the waiter asked.

  Deku looked at her to go first.

  "A water please," she told him.

  "And you?" he to Deku questioned after taking some notes on what they wanted.

  "A water for me too," he nodded his head.

  They ordered their food after that and the waiter left them.

  "It's nice that our classmates didn't show up..." Uraraka admitted.

  "I know what you mean," Deku nodded his head again, "But it's not like they're going to show up, right?"

  And as soon as he said it, they heard many voices outside.

Deku's Pov.

  'And I just had to say that...'

  Everyone else in class 1-A (besides Mineta because everyone made extra sure not invite him, and Kacchan probably because he thought it was dumb to come here) came into the restaurant.

  "Just great..."Uraraka sighed as everyone noticed that they were there.

  "Hey guys," Ashido pushed to the front, "How was your date going?"

  "It wasn't- I- You've- Not what you think..." Deku finished with a red face and  he didn't look at them.

   He noticed Uraraka's face was red.

   "They just had to ruin the moment..." Uraraka muttered to him.

   "I know," Deku sighed quietly.

   "What are you guys whispering?" Ashido teased.

   "How you guys completely ruined the moment of our peace and quiet lunch," Uraraka crossed her arms and didn't look at them.

  "Well, we're here now," Hagakure sat down, and then everyone else did too.

  Uraraka and Deku sighed in unison.

  The waiter delivered their food and water. He left afterward.

  "Maybe if we eat a little quickly, we can slip out unnoticed and continue ahead of them," Uraraka suggested quietly.

  "Good idea," Deku whispered back.

  'I can't believe that they came almost right after us...'

  A moment of realization struck.

  'Have they been following us?'

  "Uraraka?" he spoke her name softly so no one else could hear.

  "Yeah, what is it?" Uraraka mumbled back.

  "Do you think they've been following us?" Deku asked Uraraka.

  She put her hand over her mouth.

  "They might have..." she admitted, "Earlier today, I thought I heard footsteps..."

  "I guess we just have to catch them in the act then," Deku decided quietly.

  Uraraka nodded.

  "What are you guys whispering about," Ashido walked toward them.

  "We were..." Deku didn't think of what he was going to say.

  He looked at Uraraka as if to say, 'Uraraka, help,' but she was already on it.

  "Discussing what animals we think we'll see next," Uraraka finished, "I still think that we're going to see a lot of big cats, but Deku thinks that we already saw so many that we're probably not going to see more."

  'Oh, I get it.'

  "I told you, we already saw a bunch," Deku played along, "Why would you think that there'd be more?"

  "A lot of the big cats are endangered and this is an endangered breeding program Deku," Uraraka looked like she was about to burst out giggling when Ashido turned around in a bored way. He was pretty sure she believed them.

  Deku chuckled quietly, "Ashido fell for that didn't she?"

  "Yup," Uraraka giggled a little.

  They finished their meal, paid and then, hoping no one saw them, slipped away.

  "I hope they didn't see us..." Deku whispered and they walked away from the building as quietly as they could.

  "Yeah, but now it's time for step two," Uraraka told him.

  'There's a step two?'

  "Step two?" he questioned in a confused way.

  "Step two: walk around to see if they're following us," Uraraka explained, "And then, step three: catch them in the act."