Chapter 14 | Set up

Deku's Pov.

  "Uraraka!" Deku called to her, trying to catch up.

  "Y-Yeah?" she responded. 'What happened to the happy, no stutter light spirited Uraraka?'

  She paused and looked over her shoulder to wait for him to catch up. 'Usually she would've acted excited and happy and run over, but she just stood there... Something is definitely off...'

  "Are you okay?" he asked her, a little more quietly as they began to walk together, "You're acting strange all over again and I feel like I have something to do with it."

  "No, this is how I normally am," she protested weakly, "See?"

  Uraraka showed a fake smile again and pointed with both hands at it.

  Deku sighed. 'I don't like her fake smiles... Not at all. Did I do something wrong?'

  "Uraraka, that's not a real smile," he told her truthfully, "I thought we settled everything Saturday night about that."

  "Y-You've got it all wrong..." she tried, not looking him in the eye.

  "Well, anyway," Deku started, "I-I'm sorry about S-Sunday morning, I didn't realize what Ashido was planning, so I thought we could go s-somewhere to-together while we're all at the mall."

  He kind of started rambling when he tried asking her to go somewhere with him. 

  'She's gonna say no and I'm going to make a fool of myself. And even if she says yes, which she isn't, I have no idea how to act while going somewhere with a girl...'

  She gave him a small smile. A real one. It made him feel better, it was kind of comforting.

  "Sure!" she actually seemed happy.

  "Y-You can choose where to go, anywhere I won't complain," he spoke truthfully, still surprised.  

  'I hope it's not shopping though...'

  "S-Some lunch would be nice!" she exclaimed after thinking for a minute. 'Phew...'

  "Then we can ditch everyone and go get some lunch when we're there," it didn't sound like the right thing to do, but he knew that they would leave them instead.

  "But what about the rest of the group?" Uraraka looked a little surprised from him saying that.

  "J-Judging from how they've been acting, they will most likely be the ones ditching us." 

  They both blushed a light pink, but Uraraka nodded.

  "If they're not there, I'm going to leave them floating on the ceiling..."

  A jolt of realization ran through his body as soon as she said that.

  "U-Uraraka?" Deku stopped walking, as he turned his gaze to the mall.

  "W-What is it?" she asked 

  "They did it again!" Deku pointed in the direction in the mall.

  Uraraka looked over by the entrance of the mall. She looked a little angry. No one was waiting for them. Their friends had set them up. Again!

  "Don't be angry, this was bound to happen and we just didn't see it," Deku sighed.

  "Yeah, I should have seen it coming," Uraraka nodded, "C-Can we still get lunch together?"

  "O-Of course," Deku spoke with surprise, "Where to?"

  "W-Well, there's this one traditional Japanese restaurant that I've been wanting to go to..." Uraraka told him, "I don't think you have to look formal to go there, but it serves traditional food."

  "Then we can go there," Deku smiled. A real smile. He hoped maybe she would give him a real smile back.

  And she did. Uraraka's signature smile that could cheer him up from anything.

Uraraka's Pov.

  Uraraka couldn't believe her ears when Deku asked her out. She knew that it was only meant to be as friends, but still! 

  "But what about the rest of the group?" Uraraka questioned. 'He would leave the group to go out to lunch with me?' She blushed lightly, Deku probably never noticed.

  "Judging from how they've been acting, they will most likely be the ones ditching us," Deku explained. 'Of course that's how he sees it, but-' She thought about it for a second. 'They're going to ditch us to set us up!'

  She blushed harder than the last time and noticed there was pink on Deku's cheeks too.

  "If they're not there, I'm going to leave them floating on the ceiling..." she insisted.

  Deku stopped walking.

  "U-Uraraka?" he spoke as he looked past her.

  "W-What is it?" Uraraka asked. She was confused.

  "They did it again!"

  She knew exactly what he was talking about, but looked to the mall entrance anyway. No one was there waiting for them. 'They set us up again!'

  The fist on the other side of her was clenched angrily, but Deku didn't see it. She was about to let her anger explode like a bomb. 'Why do they keep doing this! I didn't want to be forced to keep being in situations like this!' They were her friends, but she knew Deku wouldn't say yes if she confessed. They were pushing her into these situations for no reason! 

  "Don't be angry," Deku told her. She stopped clenching her fist, and the anger inside of her went away for a moment.

  "This was bound to happen and..." Deku paused and sighed, "We just didn't see it."

  Deku looked away for a moment. He was right, they- she should have seen this coming.

  "Yeah... I should have seen it coming..." Uraraka trailed off, and then nodded.

  "C-Can we still get lunch together?"

  He looked into her eyes.

  "O-Of course!" He looked really surprised at the question, but when he said yes, it made her feel happy, "Where to?"

  "W-Well, there's this one Japanese restaurant I've been wanting to go to..." she told him.

  "Then we can go there," Deku smiled at her. A real smile unlike the ones she'd been giving him. It made her feel guilty, so she returned that real smile with her smile. It made her feel better to give a real smile. 

  'I can't let these feelings go... I have to tell him at some point... But not today. This is a day to be together as friends.'

  And so they went together. As friends...

_______________________________________________

Author's note: Thank you so much for 1K views! I never would have made it without you guys. Thank you.