Chapter 74:

"So where is she?" He asks
"Nikki" Jake calls me and I see his dad frown slightly. Alec's mom had a grin on. Alec still stood there flabbergasted. I would have to explain things to him later.

"Wasn't she Alec's girlfriend?" His dad spits and I swallow a thick saliva.
"Yes she was dad but then they couldn't continue because of Madison's pregnancy. Actually, I met Nikki before Alec did and I fell in love with her so I was jealous when she was with him but I had to keep my cool"

His dad chuckles and I'm relieved.
"You my dear are one lucky girl! I wonder why my sons are falling for you like that but all the same, you are welcome to the family"

"Thank you sir" I reply gratefully.

I look at Alec and he gives me a small smile. I return it knowing he has  a million questions to ask me.
"I'm delirious to know that you accepted my stepson. But what happened with your other boyfriend? The one after Alec?" Alec's mom asks.

"Er....he died after a car accident"
Alec's mom gasps.
"I'm so sorry about that"
"Its okay." I reply fighting back the tears that threatened to fall. Jake squeezes my hand when he notices this.

"But the two of you make a great couple" His dad compliments and I see Jake blush.

"We will be leaving you now, see you later" Alec's mom says and she walks away with her husband.

"You ....you two are a couple?.. Nikki you di... didn't even wait?" Alec stutters out.
I sigh.
"We were in love with each other ever since we met" Jake explains to him and he gets confused the more.

"You told dad you met her before me and you claim you fell in love with each other since you met. No I don't get it! You guys always fought in school and you even wanted to overthrow Nikki! How come you guys suddenly want to be together?"

Jake and I chuckle.
"It's a long story. We just got into fights because of a few misunderstandings " I tell him.
"But wait, does it mean you never loved Aaron?or me?" Alec asks a bit hurt.
"No don't say that! I liked both of you! Its just that fate wanted it the other way around and my heart chose Jake"

Alec gives me a skeptical look.
"I'm being honest! I admired you and Aaron most of the time "
Alec smiles convinced.

"I was starting to think you played with both of us" Alec admits
"I wouldn't do that"

"But I'll still wait for the long story to be told"
"Okay" I reply.
I didn't notice Jake playing with his brothers. I was too busy explaining things to Alec. I was close to confessing that I caused Aaron's death and that I was the one who got him furious that night. I knew Alec would be really disappointed in me for breaking the poor guy's heart before dying so I decided to remain quiet and talk little. I just wish he would visit me in my dreams one day so that I can tell him how sorry I am. I know he forgave me before he died but I cannot help feeling guilty.

"But you can still ask Kimberly and Danny. They will tell you Jake and I were something in the past before the fights. Aaron also knew about it"

"What started the fight?" Alec asks intrigued. He really wanted to know what happened. Little does he know that he brought the fight! The day I stood Jake up and came to the family dinner. I remember everything like yesterday but I know if I start narrating it, its not going to end.

"Hey! What did I miss?" Jake interrupts me and I'm happy because I wasn't ready to tell Alec he was the main cause of the fight after which Helen also came in and a few minor things. I can't believe we went through all that and we are now finally together even though I lost my best friend due to my  cowardice.

"Nothing. I was just asking Nikki what started the fight between the two of you"
"Oh that uh....." Jake trails off.
"We will tell you later. Its a long story too"