Chapter 16:

A friend" I say and flash dad a smile.
"Its not even seven and he or she is here to pick you up? Where are you going? You haven't had your breakfast yet" Dad scolds.
Oh God! If I tell them its Jake, they will act even worse! I had to come up with an excuse.
Mom is at the window. I bet she's looking at the car.
"The car down there looks familiar! I just can't remember who uses it" mom spits.

"Oh come on mom and dad! Nicole has to go! Her friend is waiting for her" Trina comes to my defence and I silently thank her.

Dad sighs deeply and mom doesn't like the idea at all.
"Be back latest by twelve" Dad instructs and I nod.
"Take care sweetheart!" Mom says and plants a kiss on my forehead.
I give Boomer to Trina.
"Bye Nicole!" Trina says with a huge grin and I rush downstairs. I'm still in the black tracksuit I wore yesternight.

I got out and Jake's car was in front alright. I walked towards it and climbed in.
He sat in. His hair was dishevelled and his hands were covered with wounds. He doesn't look at me but he takes a gulp of whiskey.
"Hello Mister!" I say and wave my hand in his face.
He looks  at me bored.
"Can you stop drinking! You are driving" I say making gestures.
He smiles but takes another gulp and he begins to drive. I don't feel comfortable. I have a feeling we could have an accident or get arrested by the police!
He continues to drink the whiskey. He looks horrible. I wonder what has got him looking this way. I don't think he has even showered because he's still on the clothes he wore to the party. That makes two of us.

A cab comes towards us and my eyes grow wide. Jake looks calm.
"Jake! There's a cab heading our way! You're not on the right path!" I say anxiously. He just looks at me and smiles again. He puts the whiskey to his mouth and I snatch it. He looks at me surprised.

I see the cab driver dodge and rain curses at us. I ignore him and put the bottle on my mouth and drink the rest of the whisky in the bottle with one gulp and throw it at the back. The alcohol burns in my throat.
Jake continues to look at me amused.
"Stop the car!" I demand but he doesn't.
"I SAID STOP THE CAR!!!" I yell and Jake stops it.
Okay so he has stopped it. I get down and I know Jake has his gaze on me.
I open the driver's door.
"Come out" I command
"What are you up to Nikki?" He drawls with a smirk.
"relax! I can drive" He says.

"You can drive? Ha! A cab almost run into us" I yell.
"You worry too much! Just come sit and let's go" Jake persuades.
"You are not well" I say.
"Now get out" I command
He lifts his hands up and comes out. I sit in the driver's seat and he sits at my former place. I put on the seat belt.

"Can you drive? I must warn you! Its a beast" Jake spits and I look at him. He chuckles.
"I can! Try me! I don't care if its the most sophisticated car in the universe" I say and Jake laughs.

"You are so amusing Nikki" he says and caresses my cheek with his wounded fingers. His grey eyes were boring into mine and I feel a pit of fire in my stomach.
"Drive " Jake whispers and I look at his lips.  He laughs and sits upright. Did he hypnotize me? No! I can do this!

I press on the accelerator and the engine roars. I swallow hard and the car begins to move. I'm not a good driver but at least I can drive.
"Where are we going to?" I ask Jake. Am sure he wouldn't let me go to his apartment if drunk Kate is still there.
"My apartment! I'll give you directions" He says and I nod.

He directs me well and I follow even though I nearly hit an old woman at the zebra crossing and Jake laughed at me.
We soon got to his apartment. I walked in and shuddered. The place was so cold and I could see my breath leave  my nostrils. But it was cute and clean to my surprise.
Jake walks in after me.

"This is where I live" he says.
We walk further and come to the hall. I wonder if Kate is still here.
"Is someone else here?" I ask. Curiosity was killing me.
"No! I live here alone" he says.
I didn't mean that! I meant is someone in here right now.