Chapter 42:

Nicole POV:
So the day is finally here! Yaay! 15th October! OMG! I'm eighteen today! I bounce on my bed giddily. It feels so good!

I take a shower and get dressed for school. I don't know whether to go out! I'm still curious to know what my parents have in store for me.
I open my bedroom door and the place is pitch dark. What the fuck? Did they forget my birthday? That will be horrible!

Birthdays aren't really my thing but I am interested in the gifts and presents. I walk downstairs and the curtains are still down. Something weird is going on.

"Mom!" I yell becoming terrified now. They should be down here by now eating breakfast or something.
I get no response.
"Mom! Trina! Dad" I yell again and its quiet. I ran to Trina's bedroom to find it empty but it was dark at first.

"Trina!" I yell her name in her room hoping she will respond but there was no response whatsoever.
I rushed to my parents room and it was dark. I put on the lights and it was vacant.

"Mom! Dad!" I yell. Okay this is creepy! Especially on my birthday! This can't be happening. Its like everyone has vanished to God knows where! Or did they abandon me on my birthday? No! They can't do that! Of course not or else they'll regret it.

I stride into the kitchen and the place is clean with no human being. The hall was the same. I decide to go outside. The front of the house had no human being. I go to the backyard and I find them

"Surprise!!!" They yell and I wanted to beat all of them for giving me such a fright.
"Happy Birthday Sweetheart" Mom says and gives me a hug.
Trina and dad follow suit.

"Okay! You guys gave me a fright in there! What is wrong with you?" I scold.
They chuckle.
"We just wanted you to feel something on your birthday! And we are glad it worked!" Trina explains.

"My daughter is finally eighteen! You are now a young woman" My dad says proudly with a grin.

"Yes dad!" I reply excited.
" Let's go celebrate!"mom announces. We walk together into the backyard.

There was a small but beautiful birthday cake on a table together with a few boxes wrapped in black and navy.
"What are these?" I ask them referring to the boxes.
"They are your birthday presents from the three of us" Trina replies

"But you need to make your wish and cut the cake before you touch them baby" mom says and I smile.

"Okay! Let's do this!" I say and take the knife.
"Make your wish" Trina urges
"I wish we will continue to be together as a family like this forever" I say and blow the candles. They applaud me and I smile. Then we all cut the cake.

I loved it! It was a small birthday party! Not like the fancy ones I know where they invite lots of people! I hate those ones. My family was so simple! And I liked being simple!

We share the cake and it tastes just right. I take a few drinks and I eat my favourite food, Risotto.
"I loved the cake and the food was delicious" I tell them when I'm done. I look at the time and its fifteen minutes past the hour six.

"Thanks honey" mom says.

"Time to open your present!" Trina gushes.
"Don't rush her Trina! Let her enjoy every single moment" mom says sweetly and it melts me.

I pick up the first box and it had a label, From Trina. The box was navy with a few white stripes on it. I open it to reveal a magazine. It was the latest in fashion.

"Oh my God Trina! You got me the latest fashion magazine?" I blurt and she smiles proudly
"Thank you so much! It means a lot to me" I say gratefully.
I place the magazine in my satchel and take another box with black and beige stripes.
The label had from mom written on it. The box was kind of heavy.
I opened it to reveal an iPhone 8.
I gasp and take it out feeling it in my palm.