The Loss

WARNING: Minor descriptions of death and domestic violence.

~~~~

The son of one of the best psychiatrists in South Korea and one of the most talented pianists in the country. Being extremely smart, he was suggested to study a grade higher than his. And one of the prominent lawyers of the nation being his father's closest friend, he had a friend slightly older, his hyung named Choi Soobin.

Did Kang Taehyun ever want more than that? No, he didn't. He was happy.

The importance of music not being acknowledged led Kang Hyuntae to be outcast by his own family. After all, his mother had chosen a bride with an excellent business background for her son. Although he was deprived of all the property, Hyuntae had his beloved wife, Haerin beside him. Working hard, he made a name for himself as the best psychiatrist at Busan General Hospital & College and soon after his wife also became a known face for her talent. And then after a year or two when Taehyun was born, it felt like they had nothing lacking in their lives.

Of course, Taehyun never received the love of his grandparents. But it did leave a void in his heart. As he grew up and started school, kids in his class always boasted about their experiences in their grandparents' houses and their allowances. It pained him, to be honest. When his grandfather had passed away, they visited the family in Gangnam that one time but they were treated just like outsiders. He has an uncle who was older than his father. But whenever they visited them (which was once in 1-2 years so there weren't that many encounters), Taehyun noticed that his wife and kids were nothing like his classmates described as family. His aunt was always in a rush, insulting his mother's cooking skills and his cousins never talked to him properly, they were always glued to their phones and if tried to befriend them they would always ignore him with an eye roll.

So, yes. He was really happy with the little family he had. He had his Soobin hyung's family visit them every vacation. His father had a diligent intern learning under him who was new to the city, Min Yoongi. At first it was for work purposes and then due to attachment, Yoongi became an important person to his family. He had his Yoongi hyung's best friend who knew the city by heart and more than anyone aforementioned because it's his hometown, Park Jimin, an aspiring dancer.

That's what he calls family. Small and peaceful.

***

"Soobin hyung!!", a seven year old Taehyun called over the phone ecstatically. "Taehyunnie is going to be oppa or hyung very soon hehe"

"And I'm already hyung to you", Soobin answered and Taehyun could imagine him pout already but his voice became gleeful instantly. "I became friends with a half foreign boy in the park today. He's around your age. He said he'll always stick with me and call me hyung"

Taehyun giggled at his friend when his mother called him for dinner. With last greetings exchanged, he ran towards them.

"Mommy! Soobin hyung is jealous because he doesn't have a dongsaeng", he laughed around loudly, making everyone present at the dinner table coo at his cuteness.

"You are his dongsaeng anyways, champ", Hyuntae pulled Taehyun to kiss his cheeks.

"Okay! Enough making people jealous. Now sit and have your food", Haerin scolded but she had a smile on her face.

"Jiminnie hyung will feed Taehyunie today~", he ran towards Jimin who smiled widely, already opening his arms for him to crawl in.

"When is Soobin's family visiting again, Sir?", Yoongi asked Hyuntae to which the older man squinted his eyes briefly.

"You can just call me sunbae, Yoongi!", he answered, making the other blush. "And even if his family visits again, you and Jimin can always join us"