What Happened?

Let's look back at when it started-

Pretty much everyone admired Taehyun for his god-like visuals and went head-over-heels for his smartness. He was quite popular among both girls and boys. But his personality is what most people didn't like. They just thought he's an intellectual, a boring person, a nerd.

Obviously Taehyun was a bit, closeted person. He keeps things among him and his friends. Apart from his childhood friend, whom he calls 'Soobin hyung', he only had one friend named Hueningkai, his same age, his classmate, his seatmate, his soulmate.

When Soobin suddenly made a new friend named Yeonjun in their middle school, Taehyun thought it was going to be very hard for him to mix up. But thanks to Yeonjun hyung, Taehyun started to feel close to him. Yeonjun and Soobin both treated Taehyun and Hueningkai like their own babies, always caring and protecting. Being a smart guy, Taehyun always knew Soobin and Yeonjun would end up together and YES it happened.

People did like Taehyun, his looks and his brain but they never liked Taehyun for himself. He was always known as 'the boring one'. They did not like that this boy just sits around quietly in the class, minding his own business, not talking or approaching people on his own, never getting in trouble or causing one. The fact they hated the most was he was always THE TOP student. Literally none could ever beat him. But still, it's high school and he's the favorite of all teachers, so no student dared to behave or do something wrong to him. Also, they knew if they hurt him, Soobin and Yeonjun were always ready to throw hands.

The senior group from Yeonjun's year knew Taehyun too. Lots of them even asked him out, but he's too scared. He can literally sense that they were doing this just for fun. He too tried his best to stay away from Yeonjun's friend circle. Guess not everyone is like his father-like hyung.

***

It was the last year of Soobin's middle school when Yeonjun, who was already a junior in high school, excitedly told the guys that a very close cousin of his is soon joining Soobin's class in their school. Taehyun thought that this cousin of Yeonjun is definitely a troublesome kid. Otherwise, who transfers schools in their last year? Yeonjun's friends were always trouble, no doubt. So it is not really surprising. But what surprised Taehyun was Soobin praising that kid. It's either Soobin is trying to be on good terms with Yeonjun's cousin because duh! Or the boy is really good as Soobin describes. Yeonjun told them that they should definitely be friends with him and eat together at lunch. Taehyun did not think it was a good idea. Because once a friend of Yeonjun had joined them during lunch and almost got kicked in his face by Soobin for calling Taehyun 'waste of looks for that personality'.

They were supposed to gather up at their regular Café Magic where Yeonjun set up the meeting for five of them. The YeonBin couple, their kids Taehyun and Hueningkai and of course, Yeonjun's cousin.

Taehyun and Hueningkai came first after their study session together. Soobin came a bit afterward and said Yeonjun will be coming with his cousin as his cousin went to take guitar lessons. Guitar? Nice, Taehyun thought.

After a bit of chit-chat, the doorbell chimes and Yeonjun comes, his eyes searching his friends. He meets eyes with them and waves as a big smile appears on his face. As he walks towards his friends, a certain blonde follows him. A very good looking guy shyly walks up to them and waves Soobin as he only knows him aside Yeonjun.

"Hi. I'm Choi Beomgyu! Nice to meet you. Yeonjun hyung and Soobin hyung talk about you guys a lot. I hope we can get along well.", Beomgyu reaches for a hand.

Hueningkai shakes it and smiles, "Yes, they talk about you too. I guess they really wanted us to meet. I'm-"

"UUHHH NO WAIT", Beomgyu stops him earning all weird stares from the people. He quickly apologizes smiling widely. Even if people were pissed, they would easily get it over because of his damn handsome face and a big bright smile.

"I want to guess myself if you allow"

"Oh sure", Hueningkai sounds excited.

Interesting, Taehyun doesn't say it out loud.

"Hmmmmm", Beomgyu scans the two boys sitting in front of him. He can tell they're weirded out by his scanning. Although Hueningkai is totally showing his creeps, Taehyun is all calm and quiet.

That's it. He points the youngest, "This is definitely Hueningkai", his voice all chirpy.

"And this...is Kang Taehyun", Beomgyu says while pointing Taehyun with a deep low voice which makes him meet the older's eyes and he can clearly notice the smirk.

"Wow! How did you guess?" Soobin asks with so much enthusiasm.

"Well, you have talked so much about them that I feel as if I have known them for a long time"

"Makes sense. What do you think? Aren't our kids cute?", Yeonjun asks voice jubilant at which both Taehyun and Hueningkai roll their eyes.

"Sure they are cute", Beomgyu says observing Taehyun a little more, leaving a fuzzy feeling in his belly.

***

Beomgyu joins the trio in their lunch almost every day. Taehyun can already tell that this boy is always jolly and bright. Like a mood maker. What people like. Taehyun's complete opposite. But this boy hasn't called Taehyun a boring guy yet. I mean, with that all-too-bright personality, who would think it's fun to hang out with Taehyun? At first, Taehyun thought that the boy was only being friendly with him because of the friend circle. But no! He wasn't a judgemental person. Beomgyu was friendly to everyone. And not to forget, he was all too flirty with the girls.

People would literally gawk at them because of their friendship despite their personality differences. Taehyun also couldn't believe that he got along with Beomgyu. Beomgyu being the cheery and talkative one and Taehyun being the quiet one and a good listener always made it easier for them.

Taehyun suddenly found himself getting attached to the blonde, every single day. This is not right. He can't share these thoughts with Soobin or Hueningkai. His heart always skipped a beat when the older ruffled his soft hair or stretch his cheeks to call him cute. He just fell a little more when once Beomgyu skipped classes to take care of a sick Taehyun. But Taehyun also didn't like that Beomgyu was actually, genuinely a caring person, not only for him, for everyone. He hated himself for feeling jealous when Beomgyu would constantly flirt around with the girls following him around. He is straight, Taehyun reminds himself. He hated how his heart palpitated when he suddenly looked up from his book in the library or from his food in the lunch table to only find the older's eyes on him, observing his little details and he hated himself more for loving the smile Beomgyu gave him afterward.

This is not gonna end well, Taehyun sadly thinks himself.