107

Almost all the trees are bare, their brownish leaves are already creating a long mat throughout the grass. Some other trees that have a stronger and wider bark are the ones whos branches are bushier, a clear sign that Fall is already here and that at any point snow will start falling down the sky. 

I shudder in my place and try to snuggle deeper into my shaggy sweater and its own soft high neck. I keep myself alert if I spot Peter or May coming closer. No need for that, 15 minutes later the raspy voice of Mrs. Reilly appears just down the street and I stop leaning on the bricked column and peek my head. It's the whole clan coming at me, with Mr. Albert's tall figure leading the way and Mrs. Reilly carrying one of the small twins. Most of them wearing knitted hats and big long scarves. I step out and slowly wave at all of them.

"Ha! I told ya we were late!" Mrs. Reilly exclaims and lags down putting the twin on the pavement

I stare at the other members who kindly smile at me, Peter's brown curls emerging behind May's body. I quickly smile seeing his blue sweater and his usual white sneakers. He finds me in front of all of them and flashes me a toothy smile.

"Hey, May" I quickly kiss her cheek "So, we are you heading?"

"Hi, hon... I think our first stop is Queens Center, right Ma?"

"What?! Oh, yes... I want to buy new socks and they are on sale"

"Hi... Tannie?" A very dulcet voice appears behind and I spin to see Liliana, Declan's wife, with her ginger hair now loosely falling on her shoulder "Hi"

"Oh, hi, Liliana"

"Uhm... listen... I know William and he's not that good at taking care of kids. Imma little bit worried about mine... I already told Peter and Joshua..."

"Oh, yeah. I get it... I'm already set for today" I show her my backpack "I brought some candies, is that ok? And a frisbee too..."

Her worried face softly shifts to a small relived smile "Thanks, Tannie. You are great"

"No problem. You go and hunt some offers"

"Hey! Pumpkin!"

I turn my head and bow it "Morning, Mrs. Reilly"

"Looking sharp! You're gonna have fun today, these kids are well behaved and we won't take a lot of time buying stuff"

"Oh, great. Thanks"

"Okay! Listen up people!!" she starts clapping making the sound echo in the street "Gather around, gather around..."

All of them including me, form a circle with Mrs. Reilly in the middle, Peter is across from me and even the small kids are paying attention "Parents, forget you have kids for some hours, ok? We're going to buy the hell out of this Black Friday and maybe on the way we eat chicken wings, ah?"

"Sounds good to me, Claire" Johnny now with another shirt but still with his cargo shorts winks "I agree"

"Me too! Let's go!!!" Claudia excitedly drags the others to the other side of the street "Bye, sweethearts! Behave, ok?"

Annie whispers something to Sam and slowly departs. Jan only pats William on the shoulder and kisses her daughter on the cheek. Peter strides to my side and greets me with a soft head bump that makes me giggle. And Liliana walks again towards us.

"Hey, sorry. I forgot to mention something... I prepped their bags with anything they'll need. They have some worksheets to finish from school but it's nothing bad, just drawing. Pete...can you make sure they do it?"

"Oh! Definitely, Lils. Don't worry"

"Also, please use their safety leashes so they don't get lost. Please" she finishes with a pleading smile and walks backwards to push the small twins in front of us