105

Thursday, November 23, 2017

"You're making a mess"

"I haven't even started"

"Yeah, I know. I just want to annoy you"

I grab the can opener and then the canned pumpkin puree, my fingers tightly grip the handles as I approach the blade towards the flat surface of the can a-

"WAIT!!"

"Iiiiggh!" I let out a shriek and avert my wide-open eyes to my dad "WHAT?"

"Nothing" he giggles "Keep going... I'll just stay there watching that little parade"

My brow quirks at him "Aha, you said you hate Thanksgiving and now you're watching Macy's Parade? Who understands you?"

"Hey! I said I don't like to participate in that but I happen to like the floating balloons" he points at the holographic TV in front of the living room and settles on the couch

I hum in response and start with the task of the next two to three hours. I start by pouring the pumpkin puree, two jumbo cans with the brightest orange color I've ever seen. Then the egg cracking, 12 in total.

"Hey, what's up with that?" my dad's voice stops me from using the stand mixer

I turn my body to see him still on the couch "With what?"

"With that... are you baking for the whole country now?"

"No... for Peter's family. I'm unsure of how many people will be attending so I'm making two pies and one for you and mom"

"Awww" he mockingly smiles "That's sweet...but really... put booze in ours"

"Dad!"

"I'm not saying the whole bottle, just a little kick of it"

I snort starting the mixer and pouring the condensed milk cans. With that, my dad stops interrupting me and keeps pointing at the screen when the SpongeBob Square Pants' balloon appears or the Pikachu one. I bet Peter's watching it too by now.

I throw the exact quantities the webpage is telling me too, nutmeg, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt. Because yesterday was Wednesday and Ned, Peter and I kept each other busy with Chemistry homework and flashcards, there was no spare time for me to practice how to make pie dough so I had to order online a premade batch of it but eh, who's going to notice?... right? They won't notice I bought premade dought...? Oh fuck...

After a while of staring at the screen without doing nothing, my dad stood up and gave me a peace sign wishing me luck with the 'madness that is happening in the kitchen'.

"My mom says you need to be careful of not overbaking it"

"Got it, ok. Ask her please if I need to rotate them or something"

"Yeah, let me do it" the line goes quiet for some seconds, thing shuffling through the line until his breathing crashes with the phone "She says that there's no need to but half the baking you need to poke them with the tip of a knife"

"Cool!" I flash a winning smile and peek inside the tainted glass of the oven "I think that at some point my cooking skills are going to be legendary"

"I don't doubt that" Ned adds "Ready to meet Peter's family?"

"So ready. I think is going to be an interesting evening" I mention while taking all the utensils to the sink

"You're gonna get bombarded with questions"