20

I stand stiff facing back at both of them, Peter hunches forward and sighs.

"Is everyone ok?" he asks again

"No thanks to you two..."

Peter winces and spins to look at my dad. An angry stare at him as he swings his leg to the roof. I stay there gradually changing my hair and eyes to its normal colors and hear how Peter steps closer to my dad, well, to the empty armor.

"No thanks to us?!" Peter exclaims behind me

"Those weapons were out there, and I tried to tell you about it. But you didn't listen! None of this would've happened if you had just listened to me. If you even cared, you'd actually be here! Peter argues

I deeply inhale and turn my body to them and land behind Peter but quickly jump back when the suit opens and my dad steps out of it. With furious steps, he walks closer to a taken back Peter just like me. Oh fuck, I thought he was on the other side of the country?

My dad narrows his eyes at Peter but quickly travel to me and he winces rapidly blinking at me

"Tannie? Is this some kind of illusion? Who are you?" his nostrils expand angrily at me while trying to spot any kind of glitch in me "Parker, who is this?"

"Dad... I'm that girl" I take a deep breath again and lift my chin to look him in the eyes  "it's me"

His eyes scan me as his mouth opens and closes in rapid motion "Wha...? that doesn't even make sen... ok, we're going to talk about it at the house... and you know? I did listen, kid. Who do you think called the FBI, huh? Do you know that I was the only one who believed in you? Everyone else said I was crazy to recruit a 14-year-old kid!"

Peter turns to look at me "actually, we're fifteen..."

I'm still staring at my dad, speechless. He seems frustrated and walks closer to us.

"No, this is where you zip it, all right? Both of you! The adult is talking...What if somebody had died tonight? Different story, right? 'Cause that's on you. And if you died, God if you two died! I feel like that's on me. I don't need that on my conscience!"

"Yes, sir" Peter hurriedly answers

"Yes!" my dad nods without looking at me

Peter shakes his head "I'm sorry..." 

my dad tilts his head in disappointment "Sorry doesn't cut it"

"I-I understand. I just wanted to be like you..." Peter shyly remarks

"And I wanted you to be better... and you dragged my own daughter here?"

I gasp and step closer "I can make my own decision, dad"

He tuts his mouth to me and nods "Okay, it's not working out. I'm gonna need the suit back"

"for how long?" 

"Forever..." my dad adds immediately earning a quick head shake from Peter

"No...."

"Yeah. Yeah, that's how it works... and you know what? Your little suit Tannie, I need it too" he points at me and I turn to look at him

"No, no, no... Please, please, please..."

my dad points at us "Let's have it... come on"

"You don't understand. Please. This is all I have. I'm nothing without this suit!"

My dad rubs his wrist and steps closer to us "If you're nothing without this suit, then you shouldn't have it. Okay?" He looks at me "... God, I sound like your grandfather!"