68

Sunday, August 13, 2017

"You told me that Oracle was actually going to sign and now it's not? Put me on the phone with Ed and Bob... thanks Larry"

My mom grunts in annoyance, I've been watching how her heels vibrate against the marbled floor. I feel the couch sinking beside. My dad slumps with a sigh, I twist my brows and check my phone. Six pm.

"Isn't too late to have pajamas?" 

"Isn't too late for you to be so pesky?" he whispers and I snort "...how long she's been like this?" he cocks his head to the angry figure in front of us

"mmm, one hour? Or at least since I got here... want some?" I offer him the small pint in my hands and he smirks at me

"Oh, did you seriously bought my ice cream flavor from Ben & Jerry's?"

"Yeah! Stark Raving Hazelnuts!" 

He tilts his head and not so gently pats the back of my head "What a good daughter I have... yeah just a spoon because I swore off dairy a long time ago"

He starts eating the last of the ice cream while I scroll through my phone. The voice of my mom getting louder and angrier. But both of us don't even flinch, we're used to that.

"So... Junior year, huh?" my dad says licking the spoon and looking at me

"mmhmm... fast right? This year we're supposed to go on some field trips..."

He pauses lifting a brow "Uh, is that... exciting for you?"

I shrug "Yeah, I mean... I've never been to one with a whole class... so yes"

"Oh! ok! then that's great... I remember when you were this little and puking everywhere... time flyes T... who knows what's going to happen next year"

"Probably not much..."

"Is the kid ready for school?" he whispers as I settle against the couch to look at him

"Yeah, not so excited that Summer's over but as soon as he steps into algebra and calculus he's going to be just fine"

"HEY! what are you doing here? you're supposed to be in the conference room! you're wearing pajamas?!" My mom points to my dad who stutters

"Uh yes, comfy ones... I didn't know about the co-"

"Yes you did, I told you yest... Oh god, just go and clean... I'll meet you there"

I spin to look at the stumbling figure of my dad, he shrugs at me and waves goodbye. I snort and look at my phone and then at my mom, her eyes fixated on my face.

I raise my arms in surrender "I swear I didn't do anything" 

"Baby, can you fetch me a granola bar, please?" her authoritative tone instantly changes for a soft one

I nod and walk to the kitchen when I return I hand it to her. She kindly rubs my hair and begins talking through the phone again. I sigh and start debating what I should do now. Peter must be with May at Office Depot shopping for last-minute supplies for tomorrow. 

Lap pool it is.

-----------

And you know how this goes:

Wake up at 5:40 am

Brush teeth and change to yoga pants

Do at least 30 minutes at the treadmill

Shower in less than 12 minutes and change

The increasing excitement in my stomach is not leaving me. With a final look in the mirror, I stride to the kitchen. I stop when images of last year bombard my mind... At the Tower, Thor chopping fruit, Steve and my dad talking, Nat stealing food from Clint's plate and Bruce solving a crossword.