56. Betrayal

“I wasn’t wrong about you, Zero. I knew that you’re going to be useful. I congratulate you for earning your place back in the empire.”

Nangatog ang tuhod ko nang makilala ko kung sino ang nagsalita. Lumabas si Lady Mirage sa isang bahay na bato at naglakad palapit kay Chief Zero na nananatiling tahimik sa aming harapan.

I felt Orion’s strong hands pulled me closer towards him. Nagdikit-dikit naman kaming lima para maprotektahan namin ang bawat isa. But I was still trembling from fear after seeing the woman who almost killed me.

Cold sweat was already forming on my forehead but Orion gripped my hand tighter. Napanatag naman ako ng kaunti dahil doon.

Ginawa ko rin kung ano ang itinuro sa akin ni Midas noong sinanay niya kami. Knowing what Lady Mirage was capable of doing, I created a diamond barrier around my mind. I recoiled when I felt invisible talons scraped the wall that I had made. Pero hindi na nagawang pasukin ni Lady Mirage ang isipan ko dahil sa harang na gawa sa diyamante.

“It looks like someone had prepared a lot for this encounter. Am I right, Blaire?” Nakangising saad ni Lady Mirage sa akin. At kahit naaalala ko na naman ang lahat ng pinagdaanan ko sa kamay niya ay hindi ako umiwas ng paningin. Mas lalong lumawak ang kanyang ngisi nang makita niya ang aking reaksiyon.

“If only I knew back then that you were the Channel, I shouldn’t have tortured you that much. But the experience was memorable right? You almost died in the coliseum. I was curious about what you felt during that time. Care to share?”

My hands were shaking uncontrollably. Mas nilapit ako ni Orion sa kanya. He was also shaking but not because of fear. He was angry.

“Fuck you!” nanggagalait na sigaw ni Orion. Nakayuko na lang ako sa tabi niya habang pinipigilan ang aking panginginig.

I musn’t break down now. Kailangan pa ako ng mga kaibigan ko.

“Oh I almost forgot you. You were Topher, right? Why didn’t I see it before? You were always away. You can’t even stay inside the Stronghold. You seemed not to care about anyone but you chose to help that weakling when we were planning to transform her into a stygian. Blaire Everett is special, isn’t she? That seemed to be the most likely reason why you stood up for her and saved her from me. You have ulterior motives. And you’re using her for your own agenda. You’re just like me, Orion. So go and fuck yourself.”

Hindi ko pinayagan ang sarili ko na maapektuhan ng mga salitang binitawan ni Lady Mirage. Even if she can’t infiltrate my mind, she wants to control me by her words that were coated in lies. Hindi ko siya hahayaan sa kanyang binabalak.

I know Orion. He’s not using me. I came with him because of my own decision. Ito lang ang dapat kong paniwalaan.

Orion became silent but his burning anger was now replaced with cold rage. Natawa naman si Lady Mirage pagkatapos.

“It’s game over for you and the Vanguards. Chief Zero already told me everything that he knows about your rebel group. By now, Commander Odin must have sent his entire legion to the five regions to hunt for the others. The Vanguards will be crushed if word spread out that their hero and the lost prodigy have been taken by the empire. Their two greatest hopes extinguished easily like a candle’s flame. What are you gonna do now, Ophelia? Or will you hide and leave your people again, Princess Lithuania?”

The Crimson Empire already knew about the last Maxime. Sobrang lakas ng tibok ng puso ko ngayon dahil sa kaba. Natatakot ako sa maaari nilang gawin kay Ophelia. Nasa harapan niya naman si Raiden ngayon na pumoprotekta sa kanya.

I couldn’t see Ophelia’s face but I felt her radiating the same emotion that Orion was feeling. Nakita ko naman ang biglaang pagdilim ng paligid. Pero hindi nagpatinag si Lady Mirage at nagawa pa nitong tumawa ng mahina.