46. Revelation

My body felt weightless as I began drifting into an abyss of nothingness. My eyes scanned the whole dimension and I couldn’t fathom how I got here.

I was a lost spirit finding my way to the afterlife. My memories were fogged by a hazy cloud and I couldn’t remember anything.

I couldn’t even remember my name.

It’s like my consciousness has developed a control over my own mind and I just allowed it to guide me. I let it bring me to a state of calmness. Wherever that might be.

But the voices, they came once again. I don’t recognize any of those pained and pleading voices. Pero may kung ano sa akin na gustong tumigil para makinig muna.

The cries and shrieks remained but one voice stood out. Boses iyon ng isang lalaki. I didn’t recognize who it belonged to but I think I’ve heard his words over and over again.

You can’t die yet, Blaire.

Sino ang tinutukoy ng boses? At sino si Blaire? Ako ba siya?

But that tone, it was so engulfed in suffering and despair that I can feel my heart shatter because of it. But instead of pain, I felt bright and pure hope when my form started materializing.

Hindi ko makita ang aking katawan dahil nagliliwanag ito ng husto ngayon. From a distance, I can see a floating orb of light. I was drawn to it and my feet just moved on their own, my body magnetized by the flickering light.

It sparkled in accordance with my steady heartbeat. I couldn’t take my eyes off it. It was emitting a radiance that promised me happiness. A world without suffering.

I don’t mean to hurt your feelings.

It was the same voice again. But it made me stand frozen in place. Several scenes flashed in my mind. They were memories of a girl with someone.

I’m sorry for everything.

Cold beads of water trickled down my face and I just wiped them away. I still couldn’t feel anything but why am I crying?

I almost lost you once and I won’t let you go now.

I resumed to bridge the gap between me and the orb. Habang papalapit ako ay nakita kong may namuong bola ng apoy sa tabi ng liwanag. It contrasted with the other sphere of magic. As I stepped closer, its flames almost burned me. But there was something more than the burn.

There’s love. And a promise of a better world.

Please don’t leave me, Everett.

I touched the flame with my fingertips and I bit my lip when the fire raged through my entire body. The pain was excruciating yet it reminded me of the beauty of living.

The fire devoured me until ashes remain. But from these very ashes, I shall rise.

____

“Orion! How’s Blaire? Did she got hurt? Bakit nagkasunog?” rinig kong nag-aalalang tanong ng isang babae.

My body was still tired that’s why I couldn’t even open my eyes. Buhat buhat ako ngayon ng isang lalaki kaya ang tangi ko lang na nagawa ay ang kumapit sa kanya. I can smell the smoke that seeped in his clothes.

“I don’t know but she’s finally awake,” sagot ng lalaki at naramdaman ko na lang na inilapag niya ako sa panibagong higaan. Mukhang nag-usap pa ang dalawa pero hindi ko na sila narinig dahil dinalaw na naman ako ng antok.

____

“Blaire, gising ka na rin ulit,” bati ng isang boses sa akin kasabay ng pagmulat ko sa aking mga mata. Babangon na sana ako pero pinigilan ako ng babae. Unti-unting lumilinaw na rin ang aking paningin at nakita kong nasa loob ako ngayon ng isang tent. Tatlong sleeping pads ang nakita ko at may mga nakahilera ring mga sandata sa isang sulok.