Chapter 82: Homeward

“Yeah, I’m fine. I need you and Seth to meet me in the alleyway beside the store that’s next to the pub, now. And be prepared to stay on top of our mission by making a B-line for the woods,” I order before hanging up the phone.

“You can still change, right,” I question to be absolutely sure on my plan.

Lyra gives me a nod before we take the ladder down to the ground in the alley. I find Seth and Sylas approaching the alley, though, they both pause momentarily before I wave them over. I can only hope that didn’t cause us any trouble.

I stand in front of Lyra before whispering to the boys, “It’s not safe yet. We need to run to the woods before we can reunite. Better yet, let’s wait until we get back to Alastair’s castle, that way we can guarantee her safety.”

The boys give me a nod before I grab Lyra’s hand only to lead her inbetween the boys and I, hoping not to get caught. We swiftly run into the tree line, hiding behind a couple bushes to search our surroundings. Thankfully enough, we’re not being tracked or followed. The boys and I strip only to throw our clothes into our bag before swiftly changing into our wolf forms. Lyra smiles softly as she admires us, tears falling from her cheeks.

“You’re all so grown up,” she mutters under her breath before hiding behind one of the trees to undress.

I glance over at the boys to find them both looking away. Once Lyra changes, someone barges out of the bar only to call out to Lyra.

“Come on,” I speak hurriedly before taking the lead with Lyra as we begin our travel.

The whole way there, a few werecats and werewolves were following us all the way to the castle. As soon as we make it to the castle, the four of us turn around to defend ourselves, though, before long, Alastair and Anastasia burst through the main doors only jump over the lot of us.

“Get inside and change back quickly,” Alastair demands in a low growl.

I nudge Lyra only to get her attention before rushing inside to our rooms. The three of us went into Sylas and I’s room while we gave Lyra her space, allowing her to have Seth’s room to change. Minutes pass before we’re dressed again, though, the boys try to make a run for the door.

“Hold up. We need to get out of here. You can have a bit of time with her, but once you’re all ready to go, we really have to head home,” I speak aloud before passing them by and opening the door for them.

“Go on. I’ll be waiting here. No more than 20-30 minutes. You guys will have all the time in the world once we get home,” I speak softly as I keep my head down, my hair covering my eyes.

Seth and Sylas rush out the door only to run down the hall to Seth’s room. I sigh softly before closing the door and making my way over to the sofa on the other side of the room. Thankfully some maids were sent in to clean up our mess. I feel pretty bad about leaving such a mess before leaving, though, sometimes it can’t be helped. Once I lay across the sofa, I begin to think about what’s happened since we left tonight to start our mission.

I can’t believe that after all this time, Lyra’s alive and she hasn’t changed one bit. Tears begin to stream down my face before thinking about all the good times I’ve ever had with Lyra. Not to mention, I got to hug her first and that, I’ll never forget that feeling. It almost reminds me of how I felt when I met Sylas again and we’ve been united since then. It’s the same love I felt that day that I also feel today.

I begin to cry softly as I find a way to cope with this. It’s overwhelming and I feel conflicted. Even though I’d love to get answers by listening into their conversation, I want them to have their own time together without me interfering. I sit up slowly after a solid twenty minutes has passed. There’s a knock on the door before it opens slowly.