Chapter 2: Lust, Not Love

I heard my name being called over and over again. I snap out of it to see my father standing behind me.

"Are you okay, honey," he asks softly.

I nod and smile as I wipe my tears.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thank you, dad," I reply swiftly.

I hug him tightly, then he lets go as he nods, and walks out.
Sylas... Prince Sylas... I met you that day. I need to see you again.

I walk out of the bathroom to slip on my shoes, then I pull my hair up into a ponytail and walk into the kitchen. My father made breakfast, so we ate quuckly to rush to work. One we finished, we head outside to head over to his shop, which is in the city on Paris.

We live just on the outskirts, actually, not too far from the castle. We get into his truck and head into the city. It takes us about 5-10 minutes to get to his shop. We get out and head into the store.

Right beside us is a deli, actually, my father is dating the woman who owns the deli. So, we tend to have plenty of food. She isn't living with us, though she has stayed the night quite a few
times, they seem to be fit for one another. Plus she's a very sweet lady.

Her name is Juliette. I walk over to the deli to greet her, only to see that she isn't there.

I sigh as I go to walk out, then I hear someone ask, "May I help you?"

I freeze, then turn around to see her son, Cameron.

I smile softly as I say, "Hey, Cameron. I was looking for your mom."

He nods slowly, then says, "She's in the back. You can go back there if you want, though I'd suggest not doing so in that attire."

I nod as I say, "Alright, well, I'll come back later. I have to help my dad anyway. Thanks."

Cameron sighs and says, "You know, since it's your birthday and our parents are dating, I don't think it's a bad idea to trade jobs for the day."

I shake my head as I say, "I can't
today, like you said, I don't have the proper attire."

He smirks, then shrugs.

"Alright, your loss. Though, if you really wanted to trade bad enough, I can run you home real quick. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes tops, right?"

I shake my head as I go to grab the door handle, then Juliette walks out and says, "I think that's a great idea. I'll go tell Charlie. You two go on home. And you look stunning, Kat. That dress really suits you."

I smile softly as I say, "Thank you."

Cameron takes off his gloves and apron, then we walk over to their SUV.

We get in and head to my house in silence, until he says, "She's right though, you look nice in that dress."

He wouldn't look over at me, though I knew he was blushing as I say, "Thanks, Cammy."

He grins as he laughs softly, then asks, "Who said you could call me that?"

I shrug as I simply add, "No one. But I thought it suits your attitude."

He glares at me, then I giggle and say,
"I'm kidding. Calm down. Geez, you've got such a temper. Or maybe resentment towards me and my father."

He pulls up to my house, then as I was about to get out, he grabs my arm and pulls me back. I look over at him and he kisses me. I pull away, it feels wrong, yet right? It's lust, not love.

"I have no resentment towards you. Well, now you know why. Your father, on the other hand, I'm trying to get used to. Because they're engaged."

I back away from him and ask, "What?"

His face becomes blank, then he asks, "You didn't know? They told me a month ago. I assumed you knew."

I shake my head and get out of the car only to run up to the house as he chases after me.

"Kat! Wait! Kat."

I slam my door as I hide in my room. Cameron stands in front of my door and knocks.

"Kat, let's talk about this. Please, come out. It's just the two of us."

I look down as I cry. I walk into the bathroom and strip down only to slip on a black shirt, blue jeans, and a blue headband. I put on my mom's silver necklace and slip my tennis shoes on so I can be comfy, of course. I open my door to see Cameron sitting beside my doorway.

"Kat..."

I kneel down beside Cameron and get on my knees as I say, "I'm sorry,
Cameron. I was shocked after you kissed me and then hearing that. It's overwhelming. But it's okay, you didn't know, so don't feel bad. There's just one thing I need to try before we go."

He tilts his head, then I touch the side of his face and kiss him. He sits up a little more, then wraps his arm around my waist and puts the other hand on the side of my neck.

Cameron's very passionate about our kiss. He really does like me. Maybe if he weren't so cold to me for the past
year, maybe I'd like him, too? I pull away as we catch our breaths.

"You don't feel the same way, do you," he questions.

I look up at him, shocked to hear him ask such a question. I shake my head as I look down.

"I'm sorry," I whisper softly.

He smiles softly, then shrugs as he
says, "That's okay. I sort of knew that, but I had to make sure. Though I was hoping it wasn't true. I know most of it's my fault. If I wasn't sure a jerk, maybe you'd feel a little different."

I shrug as I say, "Maybe. I mean, you can still try. Feelings change all the time, though I'll admit, I have my
heart set on someone. So, you'll really have to win me over."

He smiles softly as he nods, then
pulls me in for a hug. I sigh in relief though in worry as well.

"You understand that if our parents get married, nothing can go on between us, right," I question.