68.

Days later

The kids and my parents are asleep and Chris and I are laying in bed watching what ever is on the TV right now. We close on my parents property in three days and then they can proceed to moving in.

"I want to go.." Chris said

"Huh?"

"I want to go to the funeral."

I looked up, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'll just sit in the back." He replied

"Okay. Well I'll go with you if it'll make a difference to you."

"Please do."

"What changed your mind?" I asked

He sighed, "I don't know," he shrugged, "Curiosity I guess."

"Okay, I know that it's tomorrow. What time is it going to be at?"

"I think it's at 10."

"Alright, I don't work on weekends so gratefully it is tomorrow."

He continued staring ahead at the TV. These past few days that's all he's been doing, is staring into space at the TV, no matter what is on.

I heard Ai'Marie fussing over the baby monitor so that's my cue to get up. I grabbed my phone because I know while putting her back to sleep, I'm going to get bored.

When I came in the room she was looking around. She just ate an hour ago so luckily I have no bottles to make. I checked that her pamper wasn't full and picked her up to put her back to sleep.

While I rocked her back to sleep, I scrolled in my Apple News. I never turn the news on because this is my source.

My stomach dropped when I scrolled past the name Joyce in an article header. I clicked on the article and stared intently at the words I read;

'Joyce Hawkins, who was charged for tampering with evidence and for the murder and kidnapping of Sabrina Eason a week ago, was sentenced last night. After discovering that Ms. Eason had been dead for 5 days before the officers discovered her body, the jury took no time deciding their verdict. 'It's not many times in Virginia where you find cases like this. I would've never known she was like that.' Said a neighbor of Joyce. Joyce was sentenced to 23 years in total, no parole.'

I stopped reading after that. The information gets crazier and crazier by the day.

Did you read the news?
8:58 PM Sent to Lauren ❤️

Lauren ❤️: girl you know ion look at no form of news.
8:59 PM

I screenshot the news article and sent it to her and awaited her response.

I figured she'd call me and not even a second later she did, "Are you serious?" She asked

"Yeah, and I thought she'd get more than that seeing everything she was charged with."

"Well, they probably lessened her years by a couple but she was charged with so much shit, you can't even tell."

"Do you know that Sabrina was dead for 5 days before the police discovered her?" I asked