47.mom

Lucy POV

I book a flight to Hawaii to surprise my mom for her birthday, I haven't seen her since we both left Minnesota. the plane ride was shorter than I expected, I walk into the airport. I see her familiar face, she jumps waving at me "hey Lucy" sophie says, I smile and wave back "hey soph!" she loops her arms in mine and we leave the airport, her car was parked out front, no one inside, I put my bag in the backseat and sit in the front seat.

"how have you been?" she says pulling out into the street, I think for a second before answering "I've been okay, how have you been?" she smiles "amazing, I just started college, I'm studying to be a nurse" I smile "oh that's great! what type of nurse? do you know yet?" she shrugged "I'm not completely sure but Im sort of leaning towards a midwife" I nod "that suits you to say the least" she nods turning onto the highway "that's what your mom said, how are you liking California? any new boyfriends?" I shake my head "no, no boyfriends. and California, to put it politely is insane, there's always something happening, everyone's going somewhere ya know?" she nods understanding, she turns up the radio and music fills the small car. We sing along to the radio together, with the windows down. Hawaii was beautiful and warm, so many beautiful things to look at, everyone here seemed so alive and happy. something I didn't see in California,  something I myself didn't even feel. my hair whips behind me as we go down a crooked road. A mountain comes into view and I gasp taking in the beautiful scenery. I loved Hawaii, I really did, and i see why my mom moved with Robert. I've heard so much about people moving here and how it makes the taxes go up and I wonder if my mom ever feels like she sticks out. Robert and Sophie are from here and you can tell but my mom sticks out like a sore thumb.

We pull into the driveway and we both jump out, sop grabs my bag and I grab my carry on "you know you have your own room, right?" I nod, "yeah my mom was telling me she decorated it, she was waiting for me to visit to she what she's done. Sop bringsa finger to her lips, "wait right here", she opens the door leaving my bag right infront, "hey sweetie" Robert says, she smiles "hi dad, where's -" before she could finish my mom walks down the stairs, I hid on the outside of the house "why'd you leave the door open? and who's stuff.." She pauses, I take a deep breath and step out "hi mom" I say, her jaw instantly drops and tears comes to her eyes "lucy!" I wrap my arms around her squeezing her tightly, she cries into my neck and I teared up a bit too. She rocks us a little and pulls away holding my face in her hands "oh I missed you" she kisses my forehead and hugs me again. I felt so happy to be with her, to be here. it felt so reliving, I felt like myself with my mother.

Before I knew it my mom was taking me up to my room to show me what she did. She covered my eyes and walked me inside, "okay ready" I nod and she removes her hands, my jaw drops as I look around the room. The bed was made perfectly with grey and white bedding, the window had beautiful white mesh curtains, there was a rug under my bed, a simple white rug. She even put a white dresser by one of the several windows and a flat screen tv hung on the wall, she steps in "so what do you think?" I walk in, my sneakers making a click on the dark hard wood floor I notice Hawaiian flowers sitting on the nightstand with clock, & a closet with chic white doors "i love it mom" she smiled and hugs me "i couldn't help myself, I know you're a simple girl so I took upon myself to decorate your room. She sits down on my bed and I sit down next to her, "thanks mom" she kisses my cheek "you're welcome lu" she wrapped her arm over my shoulder, I rest my head on her shoulder "so how long are you here for?" I shrug, "as long as I can be, I only booked a one way, I needed a break from California  and maybe Hawaii can inspire me to write happier songs" I half joke, my mom sighs "how are you really?" the words take a stab at my heart, "not the greatest" I admit, i didn't want to breakdown already, but it was bound to happen, my mother always knew how to get me to open up. Plus I trusted her with everything, she knows me inside and outside. "you can tell me" she whispers, I frown. im afraid she'dbe disappointed in who I've become, im not her innocent daughter anymore. "you'll be disappointed " I whisper, she tilts my head up to look at her "lucy, I will never be disappointed in you, never" I let a tear fall and she wipes it away "I've changed, a lot. im not Lucy anymore, I've covered her up with a new girl..a new girl that smokes weed and drinks, who hooks up with guys and never talks to them again" I admit, her facial expression doesn't change. "you're still my lucy, what ever you're going through right now, whatever it is, you're still my lucy, you can cover her up as much as you want to protect yourself but at the end of the day, when you're all alone I know my baby Lucy comes out, you feel more than others can, even if you hide your emotions, you still come out." I begin to cry, she was right, when I get home at night, i cry myself to sleep, im so lost. and I don't know how to explain the way I feel, my mind,  the things I feel, the things I say to myself, the things I think.

"i love you Lucy" she whispers, "i love you too mommy" my voice cracks, she brushes my hair out of my face caressing my cheek.

💭

I don't know if anyone can relate w their mother but I know I can with my mom..with my other stories the mother figure isn't there and or they're horrible but with this book I wanted to add my own mother in for once. and if your mother isn't like this than I hope you're like Lucys mom with your kids. it's important to have a healthy relationship w your kids