Annie Copeland

"Stay here." I hear a male British voice say from down the hall. A guy turns the corner. I look up to the TV playing on the wall in front of me running some of the first photos taken of the youngest of prince Charles's sons and now heir to the throne. It's the same person! He doesn't even acknowledge me or my husband but goes into our son, Lucas, 's room. He leaves the door open just a crack. The prince walks right up to Lucas and shakes his shoulder gently. Lucas stirs a little then opens his eyes for the first time since the girl and guy were here this morning.

"Dad!" Lucas cheers more excited than he's been in months but he's still a little groggy.

"Lucas, I'm not your dad. Your father's  outside." The prince tells him but he hides his accent or Maybe he lost it.

"The people out there left me. You and Peggy are the ones that raised me." Lucas tells him.

"Just call me by my name, ok?"

"Ok, Astrlee." Lucas says. You can practically hear the smirk in his voice.

"Lucas, you know I don't go by that."

"But you said to call you by your name. That is your name."

"It's my name but you know that I go by Lee because my name's too complicated for the younger kids." The prince tells him. Lucas goes to make a remark but ends up coughing a lot and curling into the fetal position. He starts crying once he stops coughing. The prince sits on the edge of the bed and Lucas crawls over to him. Lucas buries his face in the prince's shoulder and cries more. The prince holds him until he stops crying.

"Lee, it hurts." Lucas tells him.

"I know. It happens to me too." The prince tells my son. Everyone knows that the prince has cancer, but does he have lung cancer? Lucas coughs one more time into his hand. He looks at his hand then at the prince with fear written all over his face. "When you wake up you'll be fine." The prince tells him even though, I think, he knows that Lucas is DNR. Lucas trusts him though and cuddles into the prince's chest. Not much later Lucas looks up at the prince.

"Lee?" He asks.

"Yes?" The prince asks him.

"I'm scared again."

"Why?"

"Because I know that something's wrong."

"How do you know?" The prince asks.

"The doctors told me not to go to school today and they wouldn't let me out of my room. Also, Annie and Fazer haven't bothered me all day. Plus you and Peggy came earlier and I feel like I did after kimo for the first time." Lucas tells him. Our son really hates us. We shouldn't have left him here. The doctors told us that he made parent like connections with 2 of the older patients that both have cancer. One's cancer is fatal and the other's cancer just has a long treatment but is nowhere near fatal. They said to prepare him for the reality that the one with fatal cancer will die soon. Now it looks like Lucas is going to pass first.

"Lee!" Someone yells from down the hall. Dr. Foster turns the corner with a British palace guard. The guards brings her to the room and they go in. "Lee, finally."

"Do you need something Miranda?" The prince asks her.

"You're supposed to be in your room." She tells him.

"Dr. McKenzie found out I went for a walk?" He asks.

"Yeah and if you're not in your room in 20 minutes you'll have to deal with him." She warns him.

"I need to go. See you soon." The prince tells Lucas then puts him down in the bed. They leave the room then go down the hall.