Margret (Peggy) McCartney

"Where's Lee when you need him?" I mumble to myself as I'm trying to figure out Rose's math homework.

"Have you tried looking behind you?" A familiar voice says from the doorway. I turn around on my chair to see my bestfriend in this hospital with a small smile on his face. I jump up and run at him. He looks weaker but over all he seems to be ok. "Peggy, I'm fine. Stop fussing." He tells me and I stop but I still hug him. He's barely breathing. I look up at him and he looks tired.

"How long?" I ask him.

"They said I'll be lucky if I make it to the end of next week." He tells me. "I wanted to say goodbye." I hug him but I can't stop my tears from falling. He returns the hug. What am I doing? I should be comforting him, not the other way around.

"I'll be the last one from our year." I realize and pull away from him to feel guilty again. "On a happier note, If you're here then you can help the kids with their homework and me with mine. I don't have a clue what I'm doing if I can't figure out Rose's math homework. You've always been a prodigy." We walk in and the first kid to notice us is Ruby who of course gets Rose. Those two are inseparable.

"Lee?" Rose asks him witch gets all the kids attention. Most of them crowd around him.

"Hey guys." Lee says with a slight smile. They all start talking at once but he just talks over them. "Go do your homework then we can talk. If you need help I'll be here but you should try to do it yourselves." I go to finish my work with everyone else and Rose gets Lee to help with her work. I've been staring at this question for a while now. I don't even notice but Lee's made his way over to me and is looking at the sheet over my shoulder. "X=5." He says and I jump. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." He tells me.

"It's fine. How did you get that?" I ask him. He looks back to the paper for a second. "You don't even know?" I groan. He looks at me and actually smiles. I've never seen him smile. I've never seen a smile like that in real life before. The only person I've even ever heard of having a natural smile like that is the youngest of prince Charles's children but no one's seen him since I was 3. Wait, I was brought here when I was 3 and he was already here!

"Lee!" Dr. Foster says obviously surprised to see him here. "You know what, it's actually good that you're here. Lee, Peggy can you come with me for a minute?" We walk out of the room and follow her down the hall. "Lucas' parents just signed the DNR forms but they don't want to stay with him. I was hoping one of you could be with him. He needs someone he knows and loves, even if it's in a sibling way." Lee's always been better with this stuff but this one is different. Lucas is only 7. His parents didn't show until last year so Lee and I are more his parents than them. He was born here with cancer and his parents abandoned him. He actually calls us his mom and dad while he calls his actual parents by their names.

"We'll both go." I tell her.

"Peggy, you have to be ready mentally if you're going to watch this. It's really hard to watch and not be able to do anything that can save him. Are you sure?" Lee asks me.

"I'm sure Lee." I tell him and we go down the hall to Lucas's room. The door's closed and his parents are sitting outside the room. Both of us ignore the adults. Lee quietly opens the door and walks in. I follow him and try to close the door just as quietly as he opened it. Lee makes his way over to the bed when the small child resting on said bed stirs. Lucas opens his eyes and sees Lee.

"Dad?" The little boy asks. Normally Lee would correct him but he doesn't.

"Hey Lucas. How are you?" Lee asks quietly. The little boy on the bed sits up and grabs the front of Lee's shirt by his shoulders. Lee picks up the boy then sits on the bed. Lucas leans on Lee.