Chapter Seventy-One

ELLIE'S POV

Dan was back, and although his arms were around me and my body was melting perfectly into his, I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling bubbling in my stomach from the second that Demi got the phone call from Grace and bolted. I tried to get ahold of Grace to see what had happened but she wasn't answering, the line saying that it was engaged every time I tried to call.

"Do you want to go home?" Dan asked, his eyes holding concern as he ran his fingers down my arm. "I don't know what happened, but if you're not up for it we can reschedule."

I couldn't help but feel guilty; Dan had been counting down the days until he could see me again since he left. "No, it's fine. I wanna stay with you. I'm sorry." 

After assuring me that there was nothing for me to apologize for, Dan and I followed his parents to a small cafe that was serving breakfast within the airport. It was overlooking the tarmac and allowed us to watch the planes take off and land while eating, something I hadn't ever experienced before. 

"I haven't been on a plane before," I told Dan while we were waiting for our food. 

"Really?" Dan chuckled lightly. "You'd think being Demi Lovato's daughter, you'd have been on tons of planes."

"You'd think, but she hasn't been anywhere except New York in the last year. She took Sam with her but I stayed home because of school."

The food arrived pretty quickly, unsurprising when we were the only people having breakfast at 6 am in an airport. It didn't take long for the place to fill up however, the noise level picking up ever so slightly.

"I missed you so much, Ellie," Dan told me, a small smile on his face as his eyes locked into mine. I felt chills rush up and down my body as I tried to keep my composure as best I could. 

"Naww. I missed you too!"

"There were so many places that reminded me of you. We went to watch a ballet at the Casino Monte-Carlo; I know you would have loved it. You love all of that stuff."

"I was convinced when I was like 7 that I could be like Madeline from that kid's cartoon show. I always thought she was an orphan, and there was one episode where she was a ballerina or something. I wanted to be her."

Dan only chuckled as his hand found mine, our fingers interlocking together perfectly. By the time we had finished breakfast, Dan's parents began interrogating me about my health after the scare I had had only a short while ago just after they had left.

"Oh Ellie," Dan's mother began, her accent thick. "Are you feeling any better? Surely it would take time to recover from something so serious."

"I'm feeling much better now, thank you, Mrs Castillo. I'll have to go back to the hospital every couple of months for the next year or so to make sure no lasting organ damage has happened." I told her, earning a smile from her at the news that I was okay. 

When Dan's parents went off in search of some coffee, I decided it was the perfect time to tell him about my feature on Nick's upcoming song. I knew he'd be ecstatic to hear, and honestly, it had been so hard keeping it a secret from him until he got back.

"Hey, guess what," I began, earning his attention as he looked away from the planes taking off to look at me. "I did a thing while you were gone. And it's really cool. And if I tell you you can't tell anyone else because it needs to stay under wraps until like two weeks before it's released."

"Tell me!"

"Okay, so basically, I went into the studio with my Mom, and then I went to go and see her friend Nick who I'm pretty close with. He was having trouble with this song that he was writing, and I helped him out with the lyrics a bit. I said that it needed a female perspective so he got me to sing it in the studio booth so we could listen to it back and see if it sounded better, and he liked it so much that he kept me as the female vocalist!"