Chapter Seventeen

ELLIE'S POV

As Maddie and I walked out of school at the end of the day, I carefully examined the carpark for my mom's car. She had told us she'd pick us up and then go to get Sam, who had been one of the many things on my mind that day. I only could hope that she had a good first day at Pre-school. I knew that if she didn't like it or if it scared her she wouldn't be stuck in there for long, because Demi had made a deal with Sam a few weeks ago that if she at least tried to go, she wouldn't have to do it if she didn't want to. 

I kept studying each and every car driving around, hoping that one of them would be Demi's. Sure enough, after a few more seconds of looking, Maddie was dragging me over to the far left side of the carpark where the unmistakably expensive car was parked. Maddie and I raced each other to the car but I was faster, leading to me getting the front seat over her.

"Too slow Madz!" I teased as I reached the door, opening it and climbing into the seat beside my Mom who was smiling widely.

"Hey, baby girl!" Demi greeted, reaching over the front seat to hug me. I felt my mouth curl up into a grin as I inhaled my mom's comforting scent. 

"Momma!" I said excitedly, squeezing her tightly.

"Ellie, you're a cheat!" Maddie exclaimed as she too entered the car, throwing her bag across the seat. "You had the front seat on the way here!"

"You snooze you lose!"

"Remember that!"

"Oh, I will!"

"Okay you two, stop fighting. How was your first day? Do any learning?" Demi asked, turning on the car and reversing out of the school parking lot to start driving to Sam's preschool down the road.

"Not really. We just had a 'get to know you' day today." I answered my mom. "I think I might have made two friends though."

Demi turned to me happily. "That's really good baby! What're their names?"

"Leon and Grace."

"I'm glad you made some new friends."

"So am I."

It didn't take long before we got to Sam's preschool, and I was more excited than anything to see my little sister. I jumped out of the car as soon as Demi stopped it, searching for classroom number 3, where Demi had told me to go and wait for Sam to come out. Her school finished after mine did, which seemed strange to me but I wasn't going to start complaining now.

I searched for Sam's classroom and finally found it, standing near a whole bunch of parents who were also eagerly waiting for their kids to come out of the room. As the bell rang out through the grounds, tiny humans came bolting out of the classroom running to their parents. Some were crying, some were laughing, some had no emotion on their faces. I waited and waited for Sam, until I saw her walking out, holding the teacher's hand. Watching her, Sam pointed me out to her teacher as the pair of them made their way over to me.

Sam let go of her teacher's hand, running up to me as I picked her up and placed her on my hip. "Ellieeeeeee!" Sam whispered into my ear, resting her head in the crook of my neck.

"Hi Sammy!" I held onto her tightly, smiling brightly.

Sam's teacher grinned at the sight, coming up to me. "You must be Samantha's sister?" 

 "Yeah." I nodded my head, smiling shyly. "I'm Ellie."

"I'm Samantha's teacher, Carrie. It's nice to meet you." 

"Nice to meet you too," I said politely, giggling a bit at Sam who was now holding a chunk of my hair in her hand rubbing it against her lips — it was something she had done since she first came to the orphanage — it seemed to calm her. "How did she go today?"