Chapter Fourteen

ELLIE'S POV

As I checked off each day that passed, I noticed it was getting closer and closer to September, meaning back to school. I had never really been to a real school, the only education I had ever had, had been taught to me by Ms Avery. I was terrified to even think about what school would be like, with all the new people and the noise and — oh god, I hated even the thought of it. Suddenly itching to know what would be happening, I hopped downstairs to find Demi, who was watching the crime channel, seemingly in the middle of checking her phone.

"Dem — I mean — Mom, I have a question," I stated, walking over to the couch where she pat the seat beside her, indicating for me to sit there. She looked like she was trying to hide the happiness from me calling her mom behind a curious smile, but I had lived with her long enough to see right through it.

"Yeah?"

"School."

Demi looked at me confusedly, her eyebrow cocking upwards. "School?"

"Yeah, school. What's gonna happen with me and school?" I asked, making Demi finally understand what I was getting at.

"Well, do you want to go back to your old school? I'm happy to sort that out if you'd like." Demi obviously didn't know that I didn't have an old school.

"Uhm. . ." I began, unsure of how to phrase it. "I — I've never been to school before."

I then went on to explain how Ms Avery had taught me essentially everything I knew. I had learned, even in my early years at the orphanage, that the woman was extremely intelligent, graduating from Yale to become a doctor, spending a few years in the career before taking up the position at the Girl's Orphanage. From the age of about three, Ms Avery would secretly teach me numbers and letters and colours, and as I got older, taught me how to read, spell and count. She would bring in books for me to read, take me out on 'field trips' — all behind Mrs Neveah's back. They were some of the best times for me, due to the fact that I loved to learn new things and expand my knowledge of the world.

Demi was shocked. "I can't believe that even without school you managed to become so smart!"

I shook my head, as to deny what she was saying. "I'm not really that smart though. I c—"

"I don't wanna hear it! You're my smartie pants!"

I giggled as Demi poked me in the stomach, a smirk painted across her face. I begged her to be serious and she finally settled down with a smile.

"Well, this year would be your first year of high school, so I could look into sending you to the same school as Maddie. That way you would know someone there, and you'd have someone to look after you."

I nodded my head, an excited smile on my face. "That'd be really nice."

Demi pulled out her phone, dialling a number and placing her phone to her ear. It began to ring and she put it on loudspeaker so that I could hear what was going on.

"Hello. California State High school Admissions Team, how can I help?" A woman spoke on the other end of the line.

"Hi there, I was thinking of enrolling my daughter in this school, what do I need to do in order to make that happen?" Demi responded, her professional voice being switched on making me chuckle from beside her. She stuck her middle finger up at me playfully, smirking through the side of her mouth.

"Two ways. I can process your information here and then we can send out the forms for you to fill out within the next week, or you can come into the school and go look around before filling out the forms."