Chapter Three

SAM'S POV

Daddy came stumbling into the house — he smelled yucky — like that brown stuff he drinks from those bottles. I ran upstairs to hide, hoping that he wouldn't find me. Maybe he would forget about me for tonight. That would be nice.

As I ran into my bedroom and hid underneath my bed, I heard other people at the door. They rang the doorbell which echoed in my ears, hurting my head. I thought that maybe daddy was going to tell the people to go away like he normally does, but when I heard loud voices in the lounge room, I knew he had let them in. They were all talking over each other and laughing. Maybe daddy was happy tonight? If he was happy, he might not be so mean to me. I wasn't so hopeful once all of daddy's friends came upstairs — I had a bad feeling about this. My heart kept beating faster and faster as I heard their big footsteps coming closer and closer. I tried to be quiet and make my breathing not so loud, but I think I was too late, because daddy came into my room yelling.

"Samantha, you little bitch! Where the fuck are you?"

I felt my whole body tense, and I tried to pretend I wasn't there, but I didn't do a good enough job. I felt my ankles being pulled out from underneath my bed, and suddenly, I looked up to see three men, including daddy standing over the top of me.

"Oh, we're going to have some fun with you tonight, aren't we?"

Daddy pulled me up and onto my bed by my arms, forcing my chest down with his dirty, smelly hands. I pleaded for him to stop but he wouldn't listen, stripping me of all of my clothes until I was lying on my bed, cold and naked.

It all happened so fast. One moment I was screaming and crying, attempting to squirm out of daddy's hold and the next, him and his friends were forcing my legs open.

I woke up screaming, searching around for Ellie, but she was nowhere to be found. I was expecting her to be in a bed next to me like we were at the orphanage, but then I remembered that we weren't there anymore. It didn't take long before Ellie came rushing into my room, dark circle things under her eyes. She looked tired.

"I'm sorry," I sobbed, putting my face in my hands. "I was bad."

Ellie wrapped her arms around me, but I got scared for a second, thinking she might hurt me so I backed away from her. I think I made her upset though because when she started talking again, she sounded sad.

"Sam," she started. "What happened?"

"I was so bad. That's why daddy made me hurt. He told me it was only because I was bad."

"No hunny, you weren't bad. Your dad was a bad man, it wasn't your fault. Don't think that."

I rose my head from my hands, staring at Ellie. She still looked like she was sick from throwing up before, and her eyes had red lines in them. 

"I'm sorry," I said. I felt horrible that I had made Ellie get out of her bed. 

"Sam, don't be sorry. I'm always going to come and help you." Ellie was so nice. She was like my big sister. 

"Ellie?" I asked. "Can I sleep with you? I don't like the dark."

Ellie nodded with an itsy bitsy smile, reaching out her hand for me to hold. I put my feet on the floor and walked alongside her to her bedroom. Demi's house was so big, I was so worried I would get lost. If I wasn't holding onto her hand, I knew I wouldn't be able to find my way to her room.