Chapter Eleven

ELLIE'S POV

Demi's family were coming to visit us for the first time today, and I was really excited. I knew she had two other sisters — one of which was around my age. Her name was Madison, and Demi told me that she was really excited to meet me and Sam. Her other sister's name was Dallas, and she was excited to meet us too. I was okay with meeting Madison, but meeting not just Dallas but Demi's parents too made me scared. What if they hurt me?

Sam, Demi and I were all waiting in the living room, watching old Disney channel reruns when Demi leaned into me, wrapping an arm around my body gently. I tensed at first, but relaxed once I realised that it was definitely only Demi, curling further into the woman's body.

"What's up, El," Demi asked, kissing my temple. "You seem nervous." 

I nodded, confirming her thoughts. Demi brushed her hand down my arm a few times, calming my nerves a little bit. 

"Is it because of the family coming to visit?" Demi asked softly. 

I glanced over at Sam, who was still entranced by whatever was on TV, before continuing to speak. "Yeah." I couldn't say anything else, afraid that my voice would fade away mid-sentence if I did.

"I promise you, they're the nicest people you'll ever meet. They haven't even met you, and they already love you and Sam as if they've known you all your lives. They will never ever hurt you."

"Okay." Part of me believed Demi, but the other part was still terrified. Before I could even say anything else, Demi leant over so that she was whispering into my ear, careful to make sure only I could hear what she was about to say.

"If anyone ever hurts you again baby girl, you best believe I will kick their ass so hard that they won't know how to walk again."

Ding Dong!

The doorbell went off, ringing out throughout the house. I watched as Sam's head snapped up and a look of panic washed over her face. Her eyes met mine and she crawled over to my lap, attaching herself to me as if she were a koala. Demi looked at the both of us with a sympathetic look. 

"I'm sorry Sam. I should have told them to text me instead. I'll go answer the door." Demi said, standing up from her place on the couch.

As Demi left the room, Sam buried her head into my shoulder. I placed a hand on her back to comfort her, before she whispered into my ear.

"Daddy's friends coming to hurt me."

"No Sam, no. His friends are gone. Demi's family is coming to see us because they're our family too now. Demi says they won't hurt us." I responded, my heart breaking for the tiny girl.

"Pwomise?"

"Promise."

Sam slowly loosened her grip on me, but still wanted to be held. I didn't mind, she wasn't heavy. As Demi's family entered the room, rather than hiding in my neck like she usually would, Sam looked intrigued by the new people smiling at us.

"Hi there," A woman with caramel coloured hair came over to me, her arms open for a hug. Not wanting to be rude, I accepted the hug before pulling away. "I'm Dallas. You must be Ellie."

I nodded with a smile. "Hi, Dallas. This is Sam."

Dallas said hello to Sam, who only waved with a shy smile. Sam started squirming out of my hold and I placed her down, allowing her to run up to Demi, who grabbed her hand. Demi lowered herself down to Sam's height to allow Sam to whisper into her ear. Demi nodded and Sam ran upstairs, making me confused. I looked across the room at Demi, who only smirked in my direction. What were those two up to?