Chapter Twenty-Four

ELLIE'S POV

"Hey Sara!" I greeted one of Demi's good friends as she pulled me in for a hug, resting her chin on the top of my head with a grin.

"Hi Ellie! How've you been?" Sara asked, starting up a conversation with me.

Sara was also in the music industry and had worked with Demi on a song on her last album. Her stage name is Sirah — something I call her when i'm in a particularly annoying mood.

"What're you up to today chickadee?" Sara asked, her arms wrapped around me still. Demi and Sam were running around in the front yard trying to pick up some mail that got blown out of Demi's hands leaving Sara and I in the front doorway.

"I'm not sure. Rissa said she's coming to pick me up and take me out shopping today so that should be fun." I replied, absentmindedly checking my phone quickly for any important messages I might have had.

"Awh! I'm gonna miss you though!" Sara pouted, causing me to giggle.

"You're staying the night aren't you?" I asked hopefully, to which the woman nodded happily. "Then I'll see you when I get back! We can watch some movies, or you could watch while mom and I practice jujitsu on each other!"

Sara shook her head exasperatedly. "Don't tell me she's gotten you into it too?!"

I bit my lip and chuckled, nodding my head. "It's fun! Mom's good at teaching me too, so when we see her trainer we can do the same stuff now. I wanted a way to defend myself anyway."

Sara wrapped her arms around me tighter, kissing the top of my head gently.

"We got it!" Sam exclaimed, bounding back into the house with Demi behind her. "Mommy dropped 6 letters but it's okay because I was a good helper and picked them up."

"Well done Sammy," I smiled at my little sister who seemed extremely happy with herself.

"Ellie, Wissa is coming up the driveway now so you should go get weady."

I agreed and slipped out of Sara's hold, her arms now wrapping around Sam as I ran upstairs to collect the things I would need. Shoving my wallet and phone into my purse, I quickly slung it over my bag before grabbing a stick of chapstick and placing it in a small pocket on the inside of the bag. As I made my way to the bathroom to check over my appearance, I found myself getting stuck picking out my own flaws.

Uneven face.

Bad skin.

Weird cheeks.

"Ellie?" Marissa asked. "What're you doing?"

I tore my eyes away from the mirror and quickly walked out of the bedroom, past Marissa and sat down on my bed. I glued my eyes to the floor as Marissa sat beside me, pulling my body into her side.

"You are beautiful Ellie. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise."

I shook my head. "I am not."

"Eleanor," Marissa said sternly. "You are beautiful. You are amazing. Don't pick yourself apart."

I sighed sadly, placing my finger in my mouth as a source of comfort as I had done so many times before. I felt Marissa's lips press against my hair as she tapped my arm to signal that she was letting go.

"You ready to leave?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "Should I bring my charger?"

"Nah. If you need to charge your phone we'll just buy a power pack or something. I know you need your music."