Chapter Sixty-Eight

ELLIE'S POV

Dallas: Hey El

Dallas: Are you awake?

Ellie: hey dallas, yeah, i'm up. why aren't you asleep??? it's like 3 in the morning

Dallas: Yeah babe I know but can you come and unlock the front door for me please? I left my keys and shit at home or something because I'm a dumbass

Ellie: yep

Pulling the covers off of me, I crawled out of bed and trotted down the stairs, part of me glad that I was finally allowed to leave my bedroom after being bed bound for the last week and a half. Mom kind of freaked out about me being sick and when I got let out of hospital, she still was in overprotective mode. As I approached the front door, I unlocked it and opened it, Dallas's face greeting me as she put on a weak smile.

"Dallas?" My voice was gentle as I saw the mascara stains running down her cheeks. "Dallas what's wrong?"

"Ugh," Wiping her tears and the black stains away with the palms of her hands, Dallas, sighed and shook her head. "Nothing, don't worry."

"Dallas, don't bullshit me," my tone was still gentle, but I made sure she knew I wasn't playing around as I relocked the door, enveloping my aunt in a tight hug. "What's going on?"

"We broke up," Dallas tried to keep herself calm as she spoke, her voice steady and clear. "I'm sorry if I woke you up baby, I'm so sorry."

"Dally, don't be sorry," I whispered into the girl's hair. "You didn't wake me up, I swear."

"I couldn't get through to Demi but I couldn't bare to sleep on his couch tonight and --"

"Okay, it's alright Dallas, you can stay here. Do you want me to go and wake up mom?"

"No, I don't -- maybe -- I -- uh --"

"Just breathe Dallas, there's no pressure."

After a deep breath, the woman was able to get her words out. "Can I just take the guest bedroom and crash? I've been driving around since 10 and I just. . . I'm tired."

"How about you sleep in my bed, Dally?" I didn't like the idea of Dallas sleeping alone after something that had clearly rattled her. "I'm not going to do a Demi and make you talk about anything right now. Just come sleep with me and we can cuddle."

Dallas chuckled at my short remark at her sister before nodding, following me up into my bedroom where I moved my laptop and made space for my kindhearted aunt, who didn't deserve whatever her dumb boyfriend had put her through. Dallas and I had a special relationship, unlike any relationship I had with anyone else. She was one of the most reliable people on this planet -- seeing her upset broke my heart into two.

As the pair of us pulled the covers over us, I felt Dallas's arms wrap themselves around me as she kissed my temple, mumbling under her breath.

"I love you Ellie. I swear, if anyone breaks your heart I won't hesitate to beat their asses to next century."

As per usual, Dallas was awake before everyone else, her habit of waking early one that wasn't affected by her late night. I woke up around 9, and the bed beside me was already cold -- Dallas had been up for a while. The smell of something burning filled my nose briefly, making me groan and throw the covers off of me.

"Better go and deal with this, Ella. It could be mom trying to burn the house down again," I told the white fluffball who had somehow made her way into my bedroom at some point during the night, the dog not even lifting her head as I spoke. Chuckling lightly as Ella continued to sleep at the foot of my bed, I left my room, closing the door behind me with a click.