Chapter Sixty-One

ELLIE'S POV

I had done everything everyone wanted me to do. I went to classes, tried my hardest to catch up and do well. I did all of my extra credit work and yet the promise that everything would get easier with time remained painfully empty.

I hadn't slept in days, and although I strangely wasn't tired, the effects of sleep deprivation were beginning to show physically in my body, which was struggling to keep up with my own demands. My head felt fuzzier than a piece of fabric, and I found myself tripping over air more often than not. Struggling to find a healthy balance, I was crumbling under the pressure without any way to stop it.

"Alrighty," Mr Kroeber was taking us for math today, which was nice considering I hadn't seen him much since the start of the year due to him going on leave. He was my homeroom teacher so he knew a few people in the math class, like Grace, Leon and I, but his attention was sure to be taken up by his computer in about 7 minutes. "I hope you're all having a good morning. Your regular teacher obviously isnt here, but I was told to give you all back your quiz results. I'll hand them out and let you all look through them, then after that you should all just do some revision. Exams are next week."

As my quiz landed on my desk, the big red F in the top right hand corner sent paralyzing fear rushing through my system. This quiz was meant to include everything that would be in the exams, and if I had failed, it meant that I would fail the exam too.

"Oh sick! I got a B! What about you Ellie?"

"Shut up." I replied curtly, shoving the paper into my backpack so carelessly that it tore. I didn't care one bit though as I packed up my things and marched out of the classroom, in too bad of a mood to deal with anyone else.

The hallways were empty for the most part, yet when I turned the last corner that would lead me to my locker, the girls that had followed Olivia around all year were gossiping a few feet away.

"Excuse me," I muttered as I approached my locker that they were standing in front of.

"Oh look, it's Ellie." One girl snickered. "You throwing a temper tantrum again?"

I didn't answer, instead settling for pulling my hoodie from the hook in my locker and slamming it closed before death staring the girl who was speaking to me.

"I'm not in the fucking mood to sit here and have you pick a fight with me." I kept my voice low, never breaking eye contact as she stared right back at me. "So kindly fuck off or stop being a nuisance before I kick your ass."

"Is that a promise?" The girl laughed straight in my face, making my eyes involuntary narrow in anger.

"You aren't worth the effort."

"Ooo! Fiesty!"

I turned my back to the group of girls as I began walking the other way, only to be cornered by Grace who was evidently concerned.

"Lovato, c'mon. Come back to class." Grace tried to reason, but I refused to listen as usual.

"No," I shot back. "I'm going home."

"No you're not. You promised your mom that you'd try -- ditching isn't even close to trying."

"I'm sick and tired of trying. Just leave me alone Grace."

"I really don't want to do that, because I know you and I know you aren't going to deal with this the way you should be." Grace was surprisingly keeping her calm while I was doing the complete opposite.

"You don't know shit Grace! Stop acting like you know everything and let me do what I want."

"Aw no, are the lovers having a bit of a spat?" The girl behind us mocked. "Maybe your girlfriend will break up with you and you'll finally realise how much everyone hates you."