Chapter Fifty

ELLIE'S POV

With the end of the school year in sight, teachers were beginning to crack down and make sure that students were getting on top of their grades and start studying for finals. I however, couldn't care less. School wasn't a priority anymore. It wasn't worth it. Most days I didn't bother turning up, but I had to at least make a semi-regular appearance in English to keep Madison's suspicions low, because as soon as she were to notice that something was wrong, it only took a phonecall before my mother was on my back all over again.

It was just after first period and I was sitting in my math class, completely disinterested in whatever was going on around me. It was only when I heard my name being said beside me that I turned around to face the voice, Leon's face filling my vision.

"Ellie!" Leon smiled weakly in my direction, waving a hand hello. "Hi."

"Hey," I greeted hesitantly. I didn't think Leon was talking to me ever since Grace and I stopped talking.

"I just wanted you to know that we're still cool. I don't know what happened between you and Grace, but it doesn't affect us if you don't want it to."

"Oh," My gaze softened ss the words flew out of his mouth. "T-Thanks Leon. It means a lot."

"Course."

Leon was a good guy. He was friendly, he was kind, he was compassionate.

He didn't deserve a friend as shitty as me.

"So what've you got next period? Are we together?" Leon asked, his kind demeanor refreshing.

"Nah, I have advanced English. I don't know how long after that I'll stick around for though."

"You've been skipping a lot lately." Leon noted, a look of concern on his face. "I thought you used to love school?"

"Things changed. People changed." I mused bitterly. "The world changed."

Leon nodded to show he understood, his expression still soft and never judgemental. "I get it."

A few moments passed as the two of us sat in an awkward silence, neither of us knowing exactly what to say.

"Uh. . . Leon? Can I ask you something?" My heart pounded as the name of a person I cared so much about entered my brain, my hands clasped together in a tight ball in my lap as the words erupted from my lips.

"Yeah?"

"How's Grace?"

Leon only grimaced pitifully as the teacher re-entered the room and everyone was forced to be silent once again, leaving me without an answer. What was worse, was that in talking to Leon, I hadn't noticed the fact that Olivia and two of her friends had entered the classroom, taking their seats directly behind me. I felt a surge of jealously run through me as I realised one of them was sitting in Grace's seat -- at least, Grace's old seat -- but none of them seemed to care.

"Get out of Grace's seat." I ordered harshly, venom dripping dangerously from my tongue.

"Why should she? I don't see the bitch anywhere? Besides, I dont think she'd care too much. No one likes you Lovato, no one wants to sit anywhere near you." Olivia retorted, the same sly smirk she always carried painted across her face. 

"So why did you?" I spat back.

"Oh, no reason. Don't worry Ellie, I'm not going to do anything."

My heart began to race violently, my mind filling with thoughts of what they might do to me. Being popular gave you a lot of advantages in high school, and with advantages came power.