Chapter Six

A MONTH LATER

DEMI'S POV

"Girls — Breakfast!" I called up the stairs to Ellie and Sam. I had prepared bacon and eggs for the pair, knowing that it was one of their favourites. I turned my head to the doorway as I heard heavy footsteps hitting the ground, followed by a yelp of pain. 

"Owie!"

I put down what was in my hands and went to see what had happened. It was Sam. 

"Sam," I sighed. "What've you tripped over now?"

Sam pouted at me, folding her arms over her chest. "I didn't twip this time. I fell."

"Okay, what did you fall over then?" I looked at her, forcing back a grin. 

"My own feet." 

I shook my head at her playfully, before she stood up and trudged over to the dining table. I looked up the stairs to see Ellie standing there, her hair barely even holding itself together.

"Morning bedhead," I greeted Ellie with a smile. She groaned as she made her way down the stairs before going to sit down at the table.

"Ellie, meds." I reminded her, calling her back into the kitchen and over to the bench where I had left both her and my medication. I waited for her to grab a bottle of water before handing her an oval shaped pill as she placed it on her tongue, filled her mouth with water and swallowed it all together, making a sour face before handing me the bottle of water. I did the same with my own medication, swallowing it quickly before setting the bottle down and closing the lids of the medications. 

"Did I leave my medication here yesterday or did you get it for me?" Ellie asked just as I turned to face her again.

"You left it here, so just remember to take it back upstairs and put it back in your medicine cabinet when you get a chance," I replied, showing her where I was putting her bottle.

"Okay." Ellie nodded, before walking out beside me to meet Sam at the dining table, who was slamming her hands on the table, tapping out a beat.

"Dere's a diamon castle in ma mwind, and someday soon, we gonna find it!!" Sam sang out, her voice travelling throughout the house, making me chuckle. 

"How old was I when that  Barbie movie came out? 15? 16? Either way, I haven't heard anyone sing that in ages." 

Ellie laughed as she sat down in her seat next to Sam. "Get used to it Demi, I don't think it's going away anytime soon."

I sighed. "You're probably right."

As we all sat down and began eating our breakfast, I couldn't help but feel relieved as I glanced over at Ellie. Ever since she had been diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease and had been prescribed medication for it, she had been doing so much better. Hashimoto's was an autoimmune disease that attacked the thyroid, causing it not to produce enough of a certain hormone, which is what her medication is now replacing. Everything had now gone back to normal with Ellie, her food intake was up, which was giving her more energy and she finally looked healthy. She could keep food down, which was important, because she had finally started to get a bit taller. When I had first met her, she was tiny — according to the doctor, her height was that of an 11-year-old's and her weight was that of a 10-year-old's. I was glad to see that she was finally getting better. 

Once we finished breakfast, I collected the bowls from Ellie and Sam and stacked them on top of each other.  

"Ughhhhhhhh."

"Demi, why are you making dat weird noise? Dat's the noise Ellie makes when I wake her up." Sam piped up, looking at me with a straight face.

God this kid killed me sometimes.