Chapter Forty-One

ELLIE'S POV

I ran my fingers through my hair at the realisation of what was happening with Grace, cursing myself for being so blind to it before.  I should've known! I should've helped her before it got this bad. As I approached my friend after school that day, I could feel my hands shaking nervously.

"Elle, what's up?" Grace asked, slinging her arm around me as I beckoned for her to walk towards the park where we would have a bit more privacy.

"I need to talk to you," I said vaguely, causing Grace to look at me with a confused expression.

"A-Are you okay?" Her questioning eyes stared me down as I avoided her gaze, choosing instead to stare at the ground.

"I'm fine. It's about you."

Neither of us spoke until we sat down on a park bench, away from the other school kids piling out of the building. Silence filled the air as I waited for the right words to be able to show my concern towards Grace to come, but they never did. I guess it was a situation that never really did have the right words.

"Grace," I began, turning towards my best friend. "You know I love you right? And I only want the best for you?"

Grace raised an eyebrow at me but nodded anyway. "Duh. You're always saving my ass from the dumb shit I do." Grace chuckled lightheartedly, making me crack a small smile in her direction.

"You're always lookin' out for me, and I appreciate it."

"Exactly. So what I'm about to say you might not agree with, but I need you to at least listen — please. This is me looking out for you."

Grace fell silent as she awaited my explanation. I avidly tried to study her expression but she masked her emotions well — too well for me to be able to read at a glance.

"I-I think you're sick Grace. I think you have an eating disorder. I've seen all the signs and —"

"You're not a psychiatrist Lovato," Grace began dangerously. "Don't try and diagnose me!"

"I'm not Grace! Just listen! I literally live with someone who has an eating disorder! I know the excuses and the bullshit lies at this point! I can see through them! I'm so worried about you, I can help! I can get you help!"

Grace scoffed, rolling her eyes backwards. "I don't need help! I'm fine! You're delusional!"

"I'm delusional?!" I began, feeling my own anger rise. 

"What'd you have for dinner last night Grace?"

"Nothing." She mumbled.

"Breakfast?"

"Nothing."

"How about lunch? Did you eat any lunch?"

"No."

"Exactly! It's not normal Grace! You need help! Just let me help you!"

"I'm perfectly fucking fine the way I am! I'm not dead!"

"Yet! What happens when your organs shut down!? What happens when your heart stops?!" I was panting at this point, but the words that came out of my mouth caused me to realise exactly how bad this could get if Grace didn't let me help her. "What happens when I lose you!?"

I felt my breath hitch in my throat and tears prick at my eyes as I stopped yelling, and the park was filled with silence once again. I felt Grace's eyes boring into me as I met them — they were darker than usual. Meaner than I had ever seen them.

"Listen," Grace's tone was dark. "Just because you and your family are messed up, does not mean the rest of the world is. Pull your head out of your ass and wake up to the fact that not everyone is crazy like you. Some people are normal, believe it or not."

Grace stood up and walked away, leaving me all alone in the park. I felt the tears that had previously been pooling in my eyes roll down my cheeks as I pulled my knees into my chest and allowed a few quiet sobs to escape my lips. I don't know how long I sat there for, but by the time I looked up at the sky, dark rainclouds had made their way directly over me as cold drops of water hit my face. It grew heavier and heavier until I was drenched — even then though, I still had no motivation to get up and walk home.

Pulling out my phone, I hoped desperately that Maddie was still somewhere near the school and could pick me up and take me home. The phone rang a few times before she picked up, the laughter of her and her friends ringing out through the line.

"Mads?" I began, sniffling slightly.

"Ellie? What's the matter? You've been crying." Maddie's tone was soft — gentle. Opposite to what Grace's had just been.

"A-Are you anywhere n-near school by any c-chance?"

"Oh El, I'm sorry, I'm not. My friends and I went to Universal for Logan's birthday today —"

"O-Okay, never mind. Bye."

"No Ellie, wait!"

But that was it. I hung up the phone and dialled Marissa's number instead, knowing it off by heart at this point. To be completely honest, Marissa had been more of a mother than Demi had for the past few months.

"Hey, bug! I was just about to call you to make sure you got home before the rain!" Marissa's voice was cheery, but one thing stood out to me. She wanted to make sure I was safe. She cared.

"Rissa, can you come and pick me up please?" A sob escaped my mouth midway through my sentence. "I don't have anyone anymore Mar! The last person I had just walked away from me completely and I don't know what to do!"

"Okay hun, calm down," Marissa said lightly. "I'm coming now. Where are you?"

"I'm at the park near my school. Please come quick." I sniffled again.

"You're in the rain aren't you?"

"Yeah."

"I'll bring you some clothes alright? Just sit tight and I'll be there soon."

Marissa stayed true to her promise, just like she always did. Within ten minutes she had jumped out of her car and picked me up, hugging me tightly without even worrying about the fact that we were both getting soaked to the bone. Her arms were comforting, her scent calming. She didn't bother walking back to her car but instead waited there for a moment, just holding me in her embrace.

"Mar," I cried into her neck. "It was so bad."

"I know hun, I know. Come on, come into my car and we can sort something out alright?"

I only nodded as she carried me into her car, sitting me on her lap as she sat down in the driver's seat before closing the door. I felt her pull my jacket and shirt off of my body as she threw them in the back seat and I quickly tried to cover my massacred arms to hide the damage I had done to myself but she shook her head, pulling them back towards her.

"Ellie, you don't need to hide them from me. I already know. You know that." Marissa said gently as I looked down disappointedly, still angry and bitter that I had been so stupid to let her know my secret. 

"Why didn't you say anything?" It had been the question I had wanted to ask for weeks.

"To you or your mom?"

"Mom."

"Because it wouldn't do any good at the moment. You need someone who's going to pay attention to you and look after to know, not someone who's going to forget and leave as often as your mother is at the moment."

I didn't say anything else as Marissa threw a shirt onto my body and moved down to my dripping wet leggings as she changed me into sweatpants. Once she was done, I felt her pull my body into hers as she held me against her, the sound of her heartbeat thumping in my ears.

"Ellie, what happened?"

I told her. I told her everything that I knew about Grace, everything that I said, everything she said. And just like every other time I had ever turned to Marissa for anything, she comforted me and she listened, but most of all — she was there.

That was more than I could say for Demi.