Chapter Thirty-Five

ELLIE'S POV

We ended up leaving the studio at around 5, hoping to beat the infamous LA traffic so that we could get home and decide what we wanted to do for dinner. As we pulled out of the studio and headed out to the highway though, we soon realised that getting home would be no easy task. We were stuck bumper to bumper, no one moving for up to minutes at a time.

We were left to find entertainment in each other and the radio, something Demi had found herself very good at over the years. She could always crack the perfect joke to get us laughing. Today, however, with everyone's overall level of exhaustion, Demi had opted to just start a conversation.

"Hey Grace, you drive right?" Demi questioned, her hands on the steering wheel as we came to a stop in the middle of a highway due to the congestion on the road.

"Yeah, I got my licence about a year ago." Grace mused from the front seat. We had switched places due to Sam requesting for me to sit in the back seat with her, and although Grace and I could both fit in the back with Sam, I suggested that she sit in the passenger seat because I had a feeling we would be in the car for longer than anticipated, meaning my little sister would likely get fussy.

"I never took lessons though." Grace continued. "I took Drivers Ed for my theory and had to teach myself how to actually drive. My mom never wanted to teach me."

I smiled sadly at my friend, knowing her home life wasn't exactly ideal. She was forced to be independent from a super young age, and once her brother was born she was expected to basically raise him too. Her father was completely out of the picture, so things were tough.

"Wanna drive?" Demi asked suddenly, a huge grin on her face as she gestured to the seat she was sitting in.

"Oh — but — this is your car — and —" Grace stammered, only to be cut off by a chuckle from Demi.

"Come on, switch with me. You've probably never driven in trafficlike this and it'll be good for you to learn how to. I'll be your driving instructor!" Demi seemed exceptionally excited about the prospect of being an instructor, causing me to scoff from the back of the car.

"Says the woman who signed an autograph to get her licence." I pointed out, earning a roll of the eyes from Demi and Grace's eyes to bug out in disbelief.

"Seriously?!" She laughed. "That's gold! I wish I could sign an autograph to get things!"

Demi shook her head at the pair of us as she climbed into the back seat to let Grace take her seat, before jumping back over into the passenger seat, each of them fastening their seatbelts and adjusting their seats to their own comfort.

"The only good thing about LA traffic is that when it comes to a stop like this, you don't even need to worry about actually being in the driver's seat." Demi chuckled as she started telling Grace what to watch out for. I made sure to listen carefully as I too would be taking my driving test within the next year, something I was both nervous and excited for at the same time.

Demi's patience varied throughout the whole trip, leaving us with some pretty funny lines leaving Grace and I in stitches. Sam didn't understand what was funny but at the sound of our laughter, she joined in too, making us both laugh even more.

"Make sure you check your mirrors and check out the back window before you merge — blind spots do exist, contrary to popular belief."

"Turn off here, if we're stuck behind that old grandma for any longer I think I'll actually rip my own weave out."

"What a dickhead! Can that guy even fucking drive!? Ellie, I swear to god if you drive anything like that when you get your licence, I'm snapping it in half! Arrogant bastard!"