Chapter One

It was never any different here. Every morning I would eat peanut butter toast, then retreat back up into my room for the rest of the day, coming out only when I was called. The other children would run around downstairs, knocking various lamps over, causing me to cringe, knowing there was probably going to be blood and multiple tears. Ms Avery was good at caring for everyone at once though. She would always tend to whoever was hurt or upset and then continue meeting people who were looking to adopt, showing them around and showing off all of the children.

That was part of the reason why I didn't go downstairs too — I didn't want to face the disappointment of being too old and the inevitable pain that would pan through my chest when I saw a toddler walk out of the building with a family I really liked. I had given up on being adopted. No one wanted a 14-year-old.

One day, I left my room to go and use the restroom downstairs and prepared myself for all the kids jumping onto me once I reached the bottom of the stairs. Sure enough, they all enthusiastically waved at me, one little girl named Sam latching herself to my leg.

"Hi Sam," I said quietly, lifting her into my arms as she rested her head into the crook of my neck.

"What's the matter?" I asked her as she began to softly cry, her tears rolling down my skin.

Sam, who refused to talk to anyone except for me, whispered into my ear with an answer. "They scared me."

I looked toward the girl who was still crying.

"Who Sammy?" I asked sympathetically.

"L-Lola and — Stephanie." Sam whispered between cries.

I glanced towards the two six-year-olds who were looking over to me worriedly as if they were scared Sam had gotten them into trouble.

"Did they mean it?"

Sam just shrugged. Judging by the looks on the other two children's faces, I didn't think they intentionally meant to scare Sam, who was extremely easy to startle. After coming from an abusive home not too long ago, it was to be expected. I saw it all the time.

As I began to walk further down the stairs, I felt Sam cling onto me even tighter, my shirt balled up in her fists. I rested my hand gently on her back, careful not to hurt press too hard as to hurt her. I kept walking into the kitchen, hoping to find Ms Avery. Sure enough, her smile greeted me.

"Odd to see you down here at — what time is it — 2?" Ms Avery had greying hair, probably from stress — her eyes looked tired too, but she never failed to put a smile on and talk to me.

I gave her a small smile. "I came to use the restroom, but Sam was upset."

Ms Avery smiled thankfully in my direction — I could tell she appreciated me helping out where I could. She pat the bench in front of me as to say to place Sam down on there, but the small three year old refused to let go. It was at this moment that Mrs Neveah walked through the kitchen, who overheard the conversation. I prayed she wouldn't yell at me for something or tell me off for something, but of course, that was never the case.

"For Heaven's sake Eleanor! She's three, just force her off of you! It's not that hard." Mrs Neveah came up behind me and forcibly pulled Sam off of me and placed her down on the bench, earning a cry from Sam.

"Wait — Stop — You're hurting her!" I said, placing an arm on Sam's arm to comfort her. She stopped crying but kept a pout on her face. I waited until Mrs Neveah came back through the kitchen before I picked Sam back up and placed her on my hip.

"Ellie, would you be able to do me a huge favour?" Mrs Avery asked timidly.

I nodded almost immediately. "Of course."