Chapter Twenty-Seven

ELLIE'S POV

The next morning, I found myself sitting against the wall that my bed rested against, my knees tucked in my chest as I debated calling either Madison or Grace to keep me company. It had been playing on my mind for hours, but each time I would push it aside, thinking I would just be bothering either of them. I was about to do exactly that when a text message from Maddie came through on my phone, answering my prayers.

Maddie: Hey Elsie Belsie! Did you wanna hang out today? I miss you :( Haven't seen you at school lately.

Ellie: Yeah! Sounds good! I've got no way to get to your house though, so maybe you'd wanna come to mine?

Maddie: Is your mom at work again?

Ellie: Something like that.

Maddie: Well... I have a car now, and a licence. How about we take a trip down to Menchie's for some frozen yogurt and then I'll hang out at yours with you for a while?

Ellie: Yeah — I'd like that. What time can you get here?

Maddie: Half an hour? Just need to get some decent clothes on and then I'll be on my way.

Ellie: Cool. See you then.

Maddie: Love you El.

Ellie: Love you more Mad.

As I placed my phone down beside me, I found myself studying the damage I had inflicted on myself last night. My forearm had a few red wounds painted across it, but my upper arm looked like a war zone. In the past, I made a point to only cut there because it would eliminate suspicion if I was still wearing short sleeve shirts in the summer time — but I guess I ruined that, just like I ruin everything. 

Throwing a jacket over my shoulders, I pushed my phone into my pocket and forced a pair of jeans onto my legs, buttoning them up at the top before lacing up the boots I had chosen out. I wasn't exactly satisfied, but I knew I couldn't spend any more time on my appearance if I wanted to make it out of the house sometime today. I quickly wrapped my earphones up and shoved them into their designated pocket in my purse before trotting down the stairs to grab a drink while waiting for my aunt to arrive.

As I leaned on the fridge, my eyes studied the various water bottles sitting on the bottom shelf. Demi had been trying to be more sustainable lately by using reusable bottles for our water, but I much preferred the taste of the Core water she endorses. Knowing she keeps stacks of cold Core bottles in the fridge in the garage, I made my way down there before grabbing one and closing the garage door behind me. I couldn't help but notice the fact that Demi's car was in the garage still. It was almost as if she was here with me — except she wasn't. I forced the sheer thought of my mother out of my head as I walked out of the house in a huff, water in hand as I sat down on the porch to wait for Maddie. 

I found myself unconsciously checking my phone for the hundredth time that hour. hoping and praying that Demi had responded to me at some point. As angry as I was at her, I missed her. I missed Sam. I missed their hugs, their voices, their laughs. Obviously, neither of them miss me though, do they?

I was snapped out of studying my feet by the sound of Maddie's car pulling up in the driveway, a bright smile on her face as she stuck her head out the window and waved for me to join her in the passenger seat. I smiled meekly in return as I sat down beside her, closing the door with a pull of my arm. 

"Hey boo," Maddie greeted me by pulling me into a hug, my body sprawled uncomfortably across the cup holders. "I've missed you!"

I chuckled, nodding in agreeance. "I missed you too Maddie, I'm sorry I haven't come and hung out with you lately."