Chapter Thirty-Seven

ELLIE'S POV

Nick had picked me up earlier that day and told me he wanted to take me out to the mall as a way to bring my spirits up and celebrate my birthday since he was out of town when we had the celebration.

By 12 pm, we had found ourselves in the food court, chicken nuggets and a Pepsi in front of me while Nick had settled for some water.

"You want some nuggets?" I offered, pushing the cardboard box towards Nick who politely declined.

"Nah, not for me. I'm not feeling the greatest. I'll eat when I get back to your house — I'm making chilli when your Mom gets home."

"If she comes home," Although I spoke under my breath, Nick caught what I had said and shifted a little bit, placing his hand on mine gently.

"She's not been coming home?"

"Well," I hesitated. "She has been, but not until really late. Like almost midnight late. I don't know where she goes or what she does, she just kind of forgets about me and leaves. A few weeks ago she left Sam and I alone at home with one of my friends, and she didn't even tell me. She won't talk to me about it, she just yells at me or tells me she's stressed everytime i bring it up. I've stopped trying."

"Oh, Ellie," Nick squeezed my arm and I had to resist the urge to squeal out in pain due to the cuts lining them. "Have you at least spoken to Dianna? Or Dallas even?"

"They all know that it's happening, they just don't think I don't know that she's going. She went to New York a few months ago with Sam, and Maddie found out. I had to convince her that I knew about it, but just forgot."

"But you had no idea?"

"None whatsoever." I said quietly. "I just — I hope she's okay. I don't want anything to happen to her, or to Sam."

"I'm more concerned about something happening to you Ellie."

"I'm fine. We have 24/7 security around the house, and I can always call Marissa or Dallas or even Maddie now she has her licence to come and stay with me."

"Or you could call Dianna," Nick suggested. "Get her to talk to Demi."

"No," I said quickly. "Nothing good will come out of that. Mom's only gonna get mad and then she's gonna hate me even more."

"Ellie, your mother doesn't hate you. She loves you to pieces."

I scoffed in his direction, placing the last chicken nugget in my mouth before folding the box up and tossing it into the bin that wasn't too far from my seat.

"You up for some retail therapy?" Nick attempted to lighten the mood, a smile appearing on my face. I loved Nick — he always made time for me.

"Always."

As we darted from shop to shop, I noticed I was way ahead of Nick, who quite frankly looked tired. I bought it down to him recently being on tour and filled my arms with things I wanted to buy before moving to the counter, pushing the man out of the way who was trying to pay for my things.

"Go away Nick!" I giggled, smirking at him.

"Just let me buy it for you, Ellie!" Nick protested, trying to shove my card away from the cashier, who was laughing at our antics.

"Nick no! You already spent heaps of money on me!" I argued back, tapping my card against the eftpos machine before cheering out happily.

"You're annoying." Nick shook his head, a playful smirk playing against his lips.

"You love me!" I pointed my finger out at him. 

Collecting my bags from the counter and placing them on my wrist, I grabbed Nick's hand and began pulling him to the next shop I had on my mind.