Chapter Sixty-Three

ELLIE'S POV

I had never felt so much stress in my life. Exams were in full force, and it didn't matter how much I studied -- I still felt painfully unprepared. My mind and thoughts were going so fast, my nerves were at an all-time high. I couldn't fail. It didn't help that I was still in the middle of recovering from the flu, my symptoms still as severe as they had been the morning that I had come down with the illness. Although with the help of some co-codamol, I was successfully masking my symptoms well enough for my exam this afternoon. 

"Are you even meant to be on this with your antidepressant's, Lovato?" Grace asked as she examined the sheet of co-codamol that I had shoved into my bag this morning. "I thought that shit could interact badly with anything."

"Mom called the doctor and asked if it was okay for me to take it because we had some from when I broke my nose — he said it was. It's part paracetamol, which in this situation is meant to reduce the fever and part codeine which is helping the muscle pain. I can't think for shit though, so if my brain is currently hemorrhaging, it's his fault, not mine."

"The fact that you were so casual about that concerns me." Leon shook his head playfully from beside me, looking away from his history flashcards sitting on his lap. "I feel like I should call someone so that you — y'know — don't die."

"I'll be fine Sully. And hey, if I do by chance have a brain bleed and die, at least it'll be painless. I'm that drugged up on painkillers now if I feel any kind of pain I'll be fucking pissed."

"Hey guys," Dan greeted us, throwing his bookbag onto the table before sitting down across from me. "Why are you gonna be fucking pissed, babe?"

"If me dying via a brain hemorrhage because of all of my medication negatively interacting with the shit load of pain killers I'm on is anything other than painless."

"I see," He laughed at my monotonous tone as I spoke, rolling his eyes lightheartedly at my own lack of concern. "Sounds like fun. Are we studying math or history?"

"Both. Grace and Ellie have a math exam today, and I'm apparently lucky today — I have both." Leon answered sarcastically. "What about you?"

"History."

As the boys discussed their history notes, I glanced back down at the several sheets that were scattered in front of me. 

'Rearrange this formula to make r the subject. f=mv²/r.'

I stared at the math on my page, beyond confused at the entire problem. Leon, who was sitting on one side of me while Grace was on the other, both had blazed through their worksheets — especially Leon, who was weirdly good at math for a jock. Hoping he could help me understand,  I tapped him on the shoulder with a pout on my face.

"Leonnnnn," I began, dragging his name out frustratedly. "How do I do this? It doesn't make sense!"

"Whatcha doing?" Dan piped up from across the table. "It can't be that hard, you're normally pretty good at math."

"Rearranging formulas. I don't get it at all."

"Oh, that's easy!" Leon said all of a sudden, making me aware that he had read the problem on my page while I was answering Dan's question. "Multiply r on both sides, divide f on both sides and you get your answer."

"But -- multiply it by what? Who the fuck decided adding letters into math was a good idea?!"

"Multiply it by itself!" Leon laughed, pointing out what I had to do. As I listened intently, I still couldn't wrap my head around the seemingly simple concept when I attempted to apply it to the other problems. The minutes ticked by and before I knew it, I had no more time. As the lunch bell rang, panic struck through me as I realised that I had wasted my last hour of studying before my exam after lunch.