Chapter Forty-Eight

ELLIE'S POV

With my body still adjusting to the new medication, I hadn't been able to go out much due to Demi being very overprotective. She was always checking to make sure that I wasn't having a reaction to what I was taking, as well as making sure I was actually taking pills each morning. I had noticed that I was feeling more irritable and agitated as I kept taking the medication, but Demi assured me that it would go away in a few weeks time as soon as it all settled and my body got used to it. My sleeping schedule was practically non-existent and the racing thoughts had come back, but we could only hope that everything would calm down and reach a normal level soon.

After Lauren Jauregui had contacted me asking if I wanted to go out for coffee with her, timing had been the only barrier stopping us. Despite us not being able to see each other, we kept contact with each other by texting every few days. Together, we had both begged Demi to let me go with her after school, and reluctantly, she eventually agreed.

Lauren: Hey Ellie, what time does your school finish?

Ellie: 3:15. I can walk somewhere that isnt the school so that you don't get bombarded by people who recognize you if you want?

Lauren: Don't be stupid, you don't have to walk anywhere. If people recognize me then we'll deal with it. Did you have a particular place you wanted to go to?

Ellie: Starbucks?

Lauren: Easy. You know what I look like right?

Ellie: Yup. You know what I look like too I assume.

Lauren: Uh huh. Have a good day at school babe, try not to get into trouble 😂

Ellie: No promises 😬😂

As the bell rang for first period, I didn't bother to get up and move to where I was supposed to be, instead opting to perch myself in front of my locker, opening up my computer to write the story I had been working on for months. It was nearly finished, I just needed to write a few more extra chapters and then decide what I wanted to do it with afterwards. I was considering giving it to Madison to proofread and go over it for me, but part of me was terrified to give this part of my mind away to someone who could do nothing but scrutinise it.

Not caring too much about skipping a class, I engrossed my mind into the story, my imagination running wild as my hands hit the keys on my lap manically, a constant clicking noise echoing out around me.

"Hey," A deep voice interrupted my thoughts as I felt a body sit beside me. "I'm Dan."

The Spanish accent had tipped me off almost immediately. Dan was in my history class, and he was the type of person that everyone knew. He was funny, loud and sometimes obnoxious, but regardless, his personality was one that always put a smile on everyone's face.

"I know who you are," I smiled gently, closing my computer lid halfway. "We have history together."

"Yeah!" Dan looked ecstatic to know that I knew who he was, making me giggle. "The prettiest girl at school knows who I am! I've officially won at life."

I blushed profusely, smiling at the ground as the red tinge heated up my cheeks. 

"Thanks."

"Hey, it's only the truth." 

As the pair of us sat in awkward silence for a few seconds, Dan had been the one to break it as he turned to me with a nervous smile on his face, wringing his fingers in his lap.

"If it wasn't already obvious, I — I uh — I like you a lot." Dan stuttered out, taking me aback. I was left speechless as he took my lack of words as though I didn't feel the same.